Business Services provides high-quality business services to support the Lab's research initiatives by participating in cross-functional teams with a focus on risk mitigation and cost management, which is a critical component to the Lab's success. Led by Chief Financial Officer George Clark, Brookhaven’s Business Services Directorate includes the Budget Office, Fiscal Services Division, Information Technology Division, and Procurement & Property Management Division. The Directorate manages a broad range of financial activities, including the planning and implementation of the Lab’s fiscal matters and its approximately $700 million annual budget.
The Business Services Directorate (BSD) has an opening for a Business Operations Manager (M-1) position within the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate (EPSD). This individual will report to the Business Operation Manager (BOM) that currently oversees the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate Business Services Office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop policies and procedures within EPSD as well as at the Laboratory level.
- Coordinate the Laboratory’s annual budget submission process within EPSD including the development of financial plans.
- Prepare, maintain and implement current and multi-year cost plans.
- Expertise in the development of budget and forecasting models.
- Skilled financial analyst with demonstrated ability to summarize and present financial data to support management decision making process.
- Assist in Construction and MIE (Major Item of Equipment) Project proposal development and financial oversight through project close-out.
- Prepare financial data in response to inquiries by DOE Program Offices, OMB and Congress.
- Prepare financial data for management, periodic Project and Program reviews and Laboratory planning exercises.
- Participate in Project reviews.
- Provide financial oversight in administration of NSLS-II Facilities Management and Beamline development.
- Ability to develop and effectively monitor rates for internal recharge of labor and organizational burdens.
- Administer day-to-day functions in responsible areas, including processing of WEB requisitions, change orders, invoice approval, misc. payments, pay contracts and labor cost distribution. Collaborate with BNL’s Project Mgmt Center and PPM.
- Support the implementation of BNL policies as well as compliance with BNL’s Prime Contract, DOE Orders, government regulation, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Cost Accounting Standards (CAS).
- Provide support as the need arises for both internal and external audits.
- Serve as Chair of the Staffing Plan Committee reviewing and managing staffing requirements.
- Supervise Business Operations staff of up to five (5).
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field.
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years’ work experience that demonstrates a detailed knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Variance Analysis and Project Reporting, including knowledge of budget planning, procurement process, A/P, A/R, Payroll, travel, etc.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel and Outlook required.
- Excellent verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to present financial data in a concise format to non-financial stakeholders routinely.
- Must be able to work effectively while meeting deadlines and balancing multiple priorities.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master's degree in Accounting or Finance or closely related field to include a core of relevant courses.
- Experience working in a Department of Energy Laboratory is preferred.
- Experience working on a Department of Energy major system project is highly desirable.
- Proficient in the Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) as well as the financials systems; PeopleSoft Financials, Queries, and SharePoint.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans;
- Dental Plans;
- Life Insurance;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Retirement Plan;
- Paid Parental Leave;
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.