The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
This position is responsible for developing the overall plans/programs for a distinct product or brand, or a significant segment thereof. Assist in the development of new/existing products and markets in order to effectively contribute to the achievement of the company's business and marketing objectives.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
Price & Volume Responsibility - Responsible for meeting overall company price & volume budgets for fiscal year within outlined parameters (% of growth). Volumes must be met within targeted growth. Manage all pricing activities to maximize profit potential.
Profit and Loss Responsibility – Responsible for meeting product group/product line profitability objectives for fiscal year based on specified budget. Responsible for total P&L for a major product group which includes sales volume, sales dollars, cost of goods, gross margin, shuttle and storage expenses, plant variances, direct marketing expenses, net contribution, and profit beforetaxes.
Communication – Main contact for Sales Managers. Communicate product specifications, inventory levels, pricing, costing and lead time requirements. Also responsible for developing strong communication with other functional areas and departments.
Department Management – Responsible for SKU management (creation of MFIN's for new materials and rationalizing under-performing items); Price Management (maintenance of price list and MSRP, determination of invoice allowances, and implementation of pricing strategy to meet company objectives). Negotiate, review and approve pricing and trade agreements. Participation in and evaluation of market research, promotions, public relations and advertising. Attends product reviews to compare the execution of the written specs and gain insight into what drives variances and yield to the standards.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Agriculture, Business or Marketing or related field and 5+ years experience in the Meat or Food Industry in fields such as Sales, Marketing, Production or Plant Supervision; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must understand the dynamics of the branded pork category.
- Have sufficient knowledge of different pork products.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation, decision-making and negotiation skills.
- Competent in Microsoft Office Suite; SAP.
Ability to develop positive working relationships with both internal and external vendors and customers.
- Solid understanding of marketing principles, personnel management.
- May be required to travel up to 30% of the time.
- Provides leadership and guidance to Associate Business Managers.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.