The Business Manager is responsible for management of product line including product planning, product definition, profit and loss, forecasting, product margin, promotion and product life cycle management and developing strategies to optimize the performance of existing and new products. Also responsible for coordinating with development engineering and manufacturing regarding the activities of strategic business partners relative to assigned products. Works closely with Strategic Marketing, Sales, third party partners and other Rockwell product groups.
- Define the architectural strategy and content of the product line, including performance objectives and functional specifications with cost, price and reliability objectives
- Determine the total market (domestic and international) and available market for the product line and for preparing product demand forecasts. Responsible for meeting market share and product line profitability commitments to the business.
- Determine product pricing and recommended pricing policies based on established gross margin objectives and preparation of plans for margin improvement where necessary. Cost data must be obtained from Engineering and Operations to justify product viability and must be monitored during product life cycle to insure cost reduction and gross margin objectives.
- Product promotion and product introductions, including sales and support staff training. Also responsible for product promotion plans including trade shows, product literature plan, product training plan and product distribution plan to achieve business objectives. Responsible for coordination with Sales Division, Commercial Marketing, CSM and SSB and other groups as appropriate to implement the plans.
- Competitive analysis and formulation of competitive counter strategies for all new products and existing products. Prepares a quarterly competitive review for each product along with an annual report that is used as a basis for the Strategic Plan.
- Product life cycle management including initiation of product improvements, enhancements, approval of change notices and product obsolescence consistent with business objectives.
- Attend technical symposiums and exhibits on industrial control systems to maintain knowledge on available and competitive technology and for presenting papers and seminars as appropriate to promote RA products.
- Responsible for assisting with project management of product development, including subcontract management, project schedule needs and tracking, resolution of product testing issues and other tasks as required to complete developments per market needs.
- Responsible for developing short and long range product line business plans consistent with market needs and strategic plans. Reports deviation from approved plans at least quarterly and recommends corrective action.
- Provide leadership in decision-making and problem-solving to ensure successful product line business performance.
- Responsible for obtaining agreement with Engineering and Operations on product implementation plans, for measuring progress against plans and for acting as product program manager to measure and direct compliance with plans.
- Responsible for coordination of the activities with strategic business partners and standards organizations in order to achieve strategic objectives.
- Responsible for interacting with support groups within A&S for support of customer projects, quotations and sales presentations. Provides product specifications, pricing and availability plus product presentations.
- Responsible for defining and communicating market and customer requirements through interaction with Project Teams, Business Teams, and other departments to maximize market success.
- Responsible for providing a 5+ year market focus of financially and/or strategically critical product line(s).
- BS Degree in Engineering, Business Management, or related field
- Eight plus years of industry and product line management experience
- Automation industry knowledge required, with control system background desired
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and influencing capabilities, efficient in Microsoft Office products, and an ability to work with a geographically dispersed team to achieve position objectives
- Previous product marketing management responsibility and demonstrated leadership capabilities preferred
- This position requires a minimum of 20% travel time
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening
- Demonstrated team leadership within a matrix environment to achieve objectives
- MBA preferred
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to the job. They are not intended to be an all-encompassing list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Reasonable accommodations to essential functions of the job will be made if appropriate.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.