Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation (NWF) has grown into America's largest conservation organization with 51 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters nationwide. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world, and the Federation is committed to inspiring all people around our shared love of nature and wildlife by creating a welcoming and inclusive community representative of all Americans. To support our mission we are seeking a Business Intelligence Lead to join our team.
The Business Intelligence Lead is principally responsible for developing and deploying enterprise data architecture and acting as primary designer of BI databases and ETL processes from NWF's fundraising, engagement and marketing systems. The scope of this remit includes small to mid-size projects as needed and requested by business stakeholders, and implementation of a two-year data architecture transformation roadmap led by the BI team.
This architecture includes segmentation and fundraising response data for individual donors at every participation level; consumer, benchmark and other external revenue-driving appended data; and social, conservation, and other scientific data utilized for KPIs on reach and interest-based performance evaluation.
This role also mentors all developers working on BI projects, and is committed to elevating the BI team's capacity and operational resilience.
Additionally, this position is a key stakeholder and decision-maker in all enterprise software acquisitions that will interact with NWF's data architecture.
In this role you will:
- Continue developing NWF's architecture for fundraising, engagement, and marketing data and vision for use. Develop and maintain BI systems (Datawarehouse, Datamarts, Cubes, ETLs and web-services)
- Mentor the BI team and encourage learning and growth with both the technical work and understanding the business implications and opportunities of work performed.
- Work with leadership to prioritize deliverables so changes and improvements can have the greatest impact, can solve multiple problems, and are sequentially strategic are prioritized appropriately.
- Co-own management of database backup plans, data integrity, query execution efficiency, and overall system performance.
- Work closely with data science and analysts to create new processes and efficiencies for data validation, including leveraging new BI reporting tools to transform how NWF reports on and analyzes our data.
- Make recommendations and manage business and technical requirements for strategic changes and upgrades to systems, small to large project oversight with key business owners and external partners.
- Comprehensively document any new development work, at times existing code, employing the attitude that no body of work is complete without accompanying documentation.
- Develop and publish core performance benchmarks related to data use and data quality.
- Required to participate in after-hours response plan to diagnose and resolve emergent enterprise system issues.
- 10+ years of experience with developing and managing enterprise business architecture and ETL processes including Microsoft SQL, SSRS and SSAS.
- Application programming experience (C# preferred) using the traditional SDLC or Agile (and variant) methodologies
- Exposure to and competence in Web transaction programming – including writing and/or consuming web services for integrated, multi-tier data environments
- Exposure to and competence in a multi-developer environment – including the use of version control and task-distribution software systems
- Excellent skills with Microsoft Office software – particularly with Excel's advanced data tools
- Experience with Tableau a plus
- Strategic thinking and the ability to translate business needs and goals into best system and product solutions
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Ability to visualize large-scale and big-picture change, and to sell executives on what it takes to realize outcomes
- Ability to gather, document and drive forward implementation on requirements from multiple teams/individuals
- Ability to ascertain and validate the accuracy of datasets
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to communicate complex, technical concepts and datasets in relatable terms to non-technical individuals
- Ability to organize complex sets of information toward a goal and purpose
- Ability to advocate for better systems, business processes
- Comfortable with learning new systems, software, and technologies rapidly
- Flexibility, determination, and a sense of humor