The Senior Programmer Analyst is responsible for supporting the corporate data warehouse and the implementation of business intelligence and analytic solutions. They will help facilitate the implementation of new features as well as enhancements and fixes to existing deliverables, coordinating with users and developers to troubleshoot issues, test functionality, and ensure proper promotion between environments.
- Providing production support for data warehouse and business intelligence deliverables.
- Understanding business requirements and relating these to the supporting system requirements, producing simple technical specifications for the work to be done.
- Working with IT, Actuarial, Underwriting, Marketing and other areas to understand data structures, determine data definitions, and evaluate the accuracy of data elements.
- Performing unit and system tests using test plans and scripts approved by the business.
- Reviewing test results with the business and making necessary adjustments to deliverables.
- Obtaining approval and facilitating the migration of deliverables to the locked-up production environment.
- Accurately recording time and status to appropriate projects or support activities for billing.
- Researching and responding promptly to user questions while monitoring the dedicated support email box as part of an on-call rotation.
- Demonstrating the documented ITS values and behaviors.
- Training/assisting users with report building and understanding of available data.
- Documenting and communicating status changes for units of work.
- Maintaining and enhancing data definitions.
Qualification, Education and Experience:
- Minimum 3 and preferably 5+ years of experience in developing data warehouses/data marts or business intelligence solutions
- Good understanding of the processes of data quality, data cleansing, and data transformation
- Professional manner and presentation
- Logical thinking ability
- Ability to self-direct with keen attention to detail
- Uses concepts and abilities of an application developer and the company’s policies and procedures to solve a wide range of difficult problems in imaginative and practical ways
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning or equivalent work experience (3-5years) in the business or technical world
- Knowledge of data modeling techniques for target structures such as Star Schemas, Snowflake Schemas, and Highly Normalized Data Models
- Experience writing complex SQL commands
- Hands on Experience in SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Knowledge of Business Intelligence tools such as Cognos
- Experience with Microsoft Excel
- An aptitude for data manipulation and software engineering
- Knowledge of business (insurance, marketing, accounting, and/or administration) processes and procedures
- Experience using Team Foundation Server (TFS) or other source control tools
- Experience with Netezza is a plus
- Experience with DB2 is a plus
- Experience with Microsoft Access is a plus
- Experience with other ETL tools is a plus
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic team
- A real passion for creating leading edge solutions to complex business problems
- The ability to achieve a balance between the right technical and business solution
- Flexible attitude, ability to perform under pressure
- A commitment to quality and a thorough approach to the work
- A 'can do' attitude