The Business Intelligence Business Systems Analyst IV serves as a technical member of the Reporting & Business Intelligence team. This position matches appropriate technology solutions to business needs and identifies, plans, develops, implements, and maintains business systems solutions that support business needs.
The Business Intelligence BSA writes detailed descriptions of user needs, program functions, and steps that are required to develop or modify business systems within the business intelligence technology space and is actively engaged in improvement projects that further enhance the company’s ability to deliver a full-suite of business intelligence services to internal and external clients.
This role works on cross functional teams across the organization to include executives, engineers, project managers, QA testers, and internal business customers.
The Business Intelligence Business Systems Analyst receives general instructions on new projects and works autonomously to complete deliverables.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Gains a thorough understanding of business requirements to create or enhance business intelligence solutions (e.g., reports, dashboards, metadata, etc.). Works with requestors and stakeholders to understand and clarify requirements and translate into functional/technical specifications for a working product
- Performs various types of analysis related to business and system changes/enhancements (gap, impact, risk etc.)
- Documents functional and technical requirements for new business intelligence requests (reports, dashboards, metadata, etc.)
- Communicates requirements to Business Intelligence Developers and Software Engineers
- Documents, and performs testing of reports, dashboards and other business intelligence artifacts and functionality
- Creates and maintains related documentation/material pertinent to identified changes, such as work, data or process flows, use cases, as well as business rules, report design/mock-ups, etc
- Applies and adheres to best practices in design and documentation to reduce errors and ensure robustness and efficiency of work products
- Works to identify, troubleshoot and collaborate on resolving data, performance, or other technical problems
- Manage and oversee requests through the software development lifecycle. Creates and maintains project plans including task identification, prioritization, and sequencing of project tasks, test plans, and user acceptance testing. Participates in developing and executing communication and training plans relevant to implemented changes
- Organizes and establishes processes around releases; facilitates meetings to ensure team members understand changes, status and expectations to accomplish software product deliverables and deadlines
- Performs user support and issue resolution
- Ensures work product satisfies internal compliance policies and are HIPAA compliant
- Participates in design and code reviews
- Stays current with new techniques and technologies. Assists with mentoring and training of less experienced team members as needed
- Proactively makes recommendations to management for the adoption of (1) new technology (2) industry’s best practices, and (3) streamlining processes
- Communicates and presents designs in group settings to technical and non-technical audiences
Education and/or Experience
For consideration, candidates will need a Bachelor’s degree in a related field (or equivalent combination of work experience and education) along with eight (8) to twelve (12) plus years’ job related business intelligence or business systems analyst related experience. Experience working with Cognos BI, Oracle 11g, Oracle 12c, Netezza, and UNIX is preferred. Prior healthcare or Pharmacy Benefit Management industry experience is a plus.
Computer Skills / Technical Skills
- Demonstrable skills required in the following areas:
- High level of proficiency in the software development lifecycle
- Cognos 10 (Report Studio, Query Studio, Framework Manager)
- Strong working knowledge of SQL
- High level of proficiency with data query tools (Golden32, Toad, etc.)
- Strong working knowledge of relational databases
- MS Office Suite
- Strong knowledge of software methodologies, distributed networking, databases, communications, and multiprocessing applications
Other Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the software development lifecycle
- Working knowledge of configuration, administration, security approaches, and performance tuning/optimization
- Working knowledge of report/query performance tuning/optimization concepts
- Ability to effectively balance a high volume of work; detailed oriented and organized
- Ability to appropriately schedule and prioritize multiple projects to ensure timely and effective delivery
- Excellent problem resolution, judgment and decision making skills
- Must be highly motivated, a quick learner as well as have the ability to work independently or on a team driving solutions with minimal supervision
- Must be flexible and capable of juggling multiple priorities with a willingness to do what it takes to meet critical deadlines
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) as well as strong interpersonal skills to effectively facilitate meetings and work in a team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with emphasis on translating non-technical concepts to technical audiences and vice versa
- Outstanding numeric, verbal, written, presentation, logic, and analytical skills