The purpose of this position is to design, develop, document and implement new applications, databases, interfaces, and systems; as well as provide on-going support and maintenance for existing Business Intelligence (BIAA) systems in support of the research mission at OHSU. This position will work closely with multiple BIAA team members, ITG staff and members of the OHSU research community in project coordination, understanding and documenting business processes, gathering requirements and facilitate communication.
This position supports the Research mission at OHSU. The position’s customers are people who report on the administration of research done through systems including, but not limited to, InfoEd (grant application development and tracking), eIRB (research on human subjects), eIACUC (research on animals), eCRIS (clinical trials), eIRB (research involving hazardous materials), and others. Reporting is provided as a service to administrators and departments of research.
This position is also responsible for detailed technical analysis to assure the availability and accuracy of data processed by the BIAA ETL or contained in the BIAA supported OHSU data warehouses and systems. This position will need to perform scoping and estimating of Data Warehouse activities. Present technical information and design proposals in easily understood terms in both verbal and written form.
Function/Duties of Position
- Thoroughly understand and document business processes in support of the OHSU research mission and how each BI application supports these processes.
- Provide ongoing support to existing BI applications and systems, and assure they are functioning correctly. Assist in coordinating the efficient sharing of information.
- Provide support for existing Cognos FM Models, reports and associated components.
- Develop Cognos Analytics FM models and report related to new research related efforts to present information from the data warehouse.
- Assist in the development of systems to support research.
Research Administration Project Management and Mentorship
- Provide customer relationship management with Research Administration and various research departments.
- Manage the portfolio of products and services involved in operational and strategic reporting done by Research Administration.
- Coordinate BIAA resources, RISX resources, and Research Administration resources in support of Research Administration.
- Lead sprint planning.
- Prioritize and commit to work delivered to the customer.
DW and ETL Development
- Contribute to the growth of the OHSU Data Warehouse to support the OHSU research community by designing, developing and implementing IBM DataStage processes, Oracle Data Structures, PL/SQL code, SQL Server Structures and SSIS packages as needed.
- Perform data modeling for Research Administration data.
- Work with BI Architects, Developers, Analysts and users to design, create and publish ETL processes and ETL meta-data using DataStage and other tools.
- Provide complete and consistent documentation of data warehouse content and ensure that users can determine what data is available in the warehouse, how this data is defined, how key metrics are defined and analysis is performed.
- Use the knowledge gained by working with the ETL team and through prior experience to analyze OHSU data in order to meet reporting requirements.
This position is currently 100% telework/remote and may include remote work long-term. Candidate must be able to work from home full-time initially.
Master’s degree in computer science, a related field, or a clinical field and four years work related experience in the information technology field or a combination of clinical or operational healthcare environments; OR
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, a related field, or a clinical field and six years work related experience in the information technology field or a combination of clinical or operational healthcare environments; OR
Associate’s degree in computer science, a related field, or a clinical field and seven years work related experience in the information technology field or a combination of clinical or operational healthcare environments; OR
Eight years work related experience in the information technology field or a combination of clinical or operational healthcare environments; OR
Equivalent combination of education and experience where one year of experience will be substituted for an Associate’s degree and two years of experience will be substituted for a Bachelor’s degree
- Two plus years of experience in database and interface development and design. Experience supporting mission critical data-driven applications.
- Experience developing, configuring or working with large-scale enterprise systems for research.
- Experience upgrading applications.
- Two plus years of experience developing reports in Cognos Analytics or a similar tool.
- Two plus years of experience developing Cognos Framework models.
- Experience with Oracle databases.
Job Related Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Competencies):
- Knowledge of Data Warehouse concepts.
- Must have excellent communication, analytical, and organizational skills: both written and verbal.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to maintain effective working relationships.
- Must work with highly confidential information.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team while being collaborative in resolving problems.
- Must have demonstrated, excellent customer service skills both on the phone and in person.
- Must possess energy and drive to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Extensive experience with database design, development and administration in MS SQL server, Oracle or similar systems.
- A thorough and demonstrated knowledge of SQL.
- Thorough understanding of data models and database design concepts.
- Knowledge of development life cycle, testing and production environment procedures and overall systems applications development and maintenance.