The Business Intelligence Analyst designs, develops and distributes meaningful reports from a variety of data sources to a diverse audience in a timely and efficient manner using Crystal Reports, SSRS and other industry-standard analytics tools. This position will also mentor and assist junior BI (Business Intelligence) staff and assist with updating and gathering documentation for data dictionary maintence.
They must have the ability to exercise critical thinking and create efficient data queries and objects using various SQL technologies. A solid understanding of healthcare, especially laboratory testing and related methodologies is a plus. The ability to produce and understand operational data sets to satisfy business requirements is essential.
Prepares and/or maintains documentation pertaining to programming, systems operation and user documentation. Translates business specifications into user documentation. Understands and ensures HIPPA requirements are followed when dealing with any PHI. Contributes to and assists with enterpise data initiatives.
- Planning and Design:
- Collaborates with subject matter experts to define requirements for document content, format and production schedule
- Engage in design & implementation discussions
- Assign accurate estimations to tasks
- Report Development & Testing
- Deliver clean, readable reports that meet requirements
- Contributes and reviews technical related entries into enterprise data dictionaries
- Follow team standards for development practices
- Provide appropriate documentation of development work
- Collaborate with teammates on every task
- Subject all features to manual testing to ensure acceptance critera are met with a focus on user experience
- Participate in peer review on every task
- Support and Maintenance:
- Work with support teams to understand and triage reporting issues as they arise
- Participate in efforts to reduce technical debt
- Be available to address emergency issues in a 24/7 healthcare environment
- Culture and Team Development:
- Coach and mentor junior team members
- Communicates proactively and effectively with team members, team leads, project managers, software developers, user personnel and management staff
- Actively seek out opportunities to improve the team dynamic
- Maintain a focus on breaking down silos
- Foster an enviornment of fluid collaboration
- Ensure that all data communications are secure as required by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996
- 5+ years of experience with Crystal Reports
- Expert knowledge of various SQL languages
- Excellent problem solver, with a focus on team success
- Excellent communication skills with ability to work cross-functionally across multiple teams
- Experience with Cache data sources
- Experience with ETL tools such as Pentaho, SSIS, DataStage, etc…
- Experience with scriptinglanguages such as Bash, Perl, Ruby, etc…
- Ability to travel up to 20%.
- Light to moderate physical effort (lift/carry up to 50 lbs.)
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling and crouching.
- Occasional carrying, pushing, and pulling of objects.
- Frequent, prolonged standing/sitting/walking.
- Extensive computer work.
- Frequent use of telephone and fax.