The Business Intelligence Business Analyst/Developer works closely with our institutional stakeholders as part of a cross-functional team responsible for the delivery of DWH/BI solutions to support their operational, tactical and strategic reporting as well as analytical business needs.
This individual will be responsible for requirement analysis/documentation, reporting and visualization design, testing planning and test case development, testing execution, data mapping. They will also lead the ongoing configuration, development, release management processes for our analytics and reporting platform. They will stay up to date with the latest technologies and trends in analytics including predictive analytics and analytics cloud platforms.
The analyst has a sound understanding of business intelligence concepts and participates in the end-to-end delivery lifecycle of such projects from business requirements gathering to solution design, development, testing and roll-out.
Ideal candidates will have excellent technical and interpersonal skills as well as a strong commitment to supporting our values that include team focus, creative problem solving, and technical curiosity. You will have the opportunity to grow technically and professionally while working on an experienced and collaborative team.
The expansion of our BI Team indicates the commitment and importance of Business Intelligence to the University of Rochester.
This individual will:
- Participate in workshops with client’s stakeholders in order to validate business requirements & functional specifications
- Lead the definition, documentation and prioritization of business requirements, in consultation with functional experts across all University academic units. Transformation of business requirements into dimensional data requirements and visualization specifications.
- Leverage data analysis skills to analyze business areas, understand source systems’ data and map them to data warehouse data model
- Work closely with subject matter experts using iterative design methods to ensure the design meets the business requirements
- Provide functional guidance for the creation of data warehouse models to achieve analytics requirements.
- Develop BI tool metadata integration with data warehouse to support flexible, self-service analysis activities by department analysts and report authors across the institution
- Create and deliver end user training materials
- Lead demonstration sessions of reporting and analytics functionality to project users and stakeholders, gathering feedback from participants to improve the final design.
- Manage and ensure conformance to design and development standards and procedures.
- Maintain a broad knowledge of the business intelligence and business analysis disciplines, related best practices, and related technologies.
- Provide status to project leadership on progress against assigned activities and timelines. Identify and escalate issues in a timely fashion in accordance with project procedures.
- Test and coordinating efforts for system upgrades to BI platform. Evaluate new features for inclusion within development and design processes.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will meet or exceed the following:
- Bachelor's degree in a related discipline such as Computer Science, Business, Mathematics, Statistics, Science or Engineering. 3-4 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Understanding of business concepts, procedures, and practices, especially as related to higher education is a plus.
Demonstration of the following knowledge and skills is expected:
- Ability to develop strong partnerships with others working in both functional and technical roles in the university
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Broad knowledge of the business intelligence and business analysis disciplines, related best practices, and related technologies.
- Proven track record in requirements analysis and specifications for business intelligence projects
- Development experience with at least one business intelligence tool such as Power BI, Microstrategy, Cognos, Qlikview or Tableau.
- Self-motivated and highly professional with ability to take on responsibility and work independently
- At least 2 years of experience writing and troubleshooting complex Oracle SQL queries and PL/SQL code OR Microsoft SQL Server queries and TSQL. Experience in developing SQL code within a data warehouse environment is desirable.
- Strong understanding of relational database systems and data warehousing concepts. Experience in designing and developing dimensional models is desirable.
- Ability to provide on-call support as required