RTI is seeking applicants for the role of Business Development Specialist to serve within the Division of Education and Workforce Development (EWD). Our work in education advances equitable, high-quality learning for people of all ages around the globe. We take an integrated approach to research—combining deep expertise in education and workforce development with broad capabilities in quantitative and qualitative research, evaluation studies, and data visualization and decision support tools. Our clients include federal and state agencies, foundations, non-profits, local school districts, and corporations.
The Business Development Specialist will support the strategic growth initiatives of EWD and engage with teams within EWD to define and execute business development strategies. Though the focus of this position will be growing business, there will also be opportunities to and expectations of contributions to project work. EWD supports an integrated and matrixed approach to work and calls upon the skill sets of all team members to deliver quality solutions to our customers. Hence, this position will encourage engagement in project work that is suitable to the person fulfilling the role.
This position will be based either in RTP, NC (RTI headquarters), Washington, DC, or Berkeley, CA.
Responsibilities to include, but not be limited to:
- Build relationships with potential and current partners that add and enhance expertise for our EWD team and increase our win rate.
- Coordinates and organizes overall tracking, capture and bid (proposal) development efforts through utilization of goals, metrics, skills analysis, and engagement across business units.
- Supports proposal development, working with key stakeholders (including partners as needed) in preparation of proposals.
- Writes contract or grant proposal sections with moderate level of technical complexity and gather background information to support proposal efforts.
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships with staff across the organization.
- Facilitates and inspires various teams of stakeholders to drive initiatives and internal growth.
- Researches funding opportunities and prepare analyses to inform decision making, proposals, and business development initiatives.
- Assists with a wide variety of quantitative and qualitative research activities to inform the state of our markets and how EWD is performing within those markets.
- Contributes to and/or prepares marketing materials (brochures, multi-media, social media, etc.) for us by various parties for various reasons.
- Contributes to and/or prepares portions of technical memoranda, reports and presentations.
- Enhance EWD's success in partnerships and new and continued business by successfully completing project work with high quality, on time, cost efficiency, and meeting clients' expectations.
- Masters' degree in Social Science, Public Policy, Education, or a related field, with at least 3 years of relevant experience or a Bachelor's degree plus 6 years to match.
- Previous experience and high-level of comfort presenting/speaking in front of groups or with newly met colleagues
- Previous experience supporting quantitative or qualitative analysis of market and/or competitors.
- Working knowledge of Salesforce as a corporate program/proposal tracking tool or other similar corporate opportunity management system.
- Prior experience working with the Department of Education or other federal or state agencies highly desirable.
- Experience supporting large and complex proposals for federal and nonfederal agencies highly desirable.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office suite of applications (e.g., MS Word, Outlook, Project, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, etc.)
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels both verbally and written
- Demonstrated success in meeting frequent, multiple, tight and competing deadlines
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and may be asked to provide a writing sample
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work successfully in multidisciplinary teams.