About the Role
We are looking for a highly talented individual to lead engineering services business development opportunities within our Defense/Security/Aerospace (D/S/A) market sector. The ideal candidate will have the expertise and drive to develop engineering services opportunities within target customers that meet Plexus objectives and criteria. Our Business Development Managers partner with our D/S/A Sector Leadership Team to leverage the sector strategy in developing business opportunities by understanding our customers’ needs and translating them into solutions which Plexus can deliver across our entire Product Realization Value Stream.
*This position can be located remotely*
A Business Development Manager will:
- Develop and maintain an expertise in Plexus engineering services capabilities while building an understanding of the engineering services needs of Plexus customers in the D/S/A Sector; especially in the Aerospace engineering sub-sector.
- Establish and develop strong long-term relationships with Plexus customers, understand customer needs, and develop and present a Plexus solution that creates a mutual business win for the customer and Plexus.
- Work as part of a cross-functional team that includes value engineering, manufacturing, supply chain, cost analysis, financial and legal experts to develop solution proposals for customers.
- Be a Subject Matter Expert within the D/S/A sector including end market Tier 1 and 2 OEMs, market trends and dynamics, regulatory environment, core technology needs, and outsourcing maturity. Understand how to effectively leverage internal resources to credibly engage customers in discussions concerning end market needs, issues, and challenges.
- Provide the Plexus Leadership Team reports on high-level engineering opportunities.
- Leverage market sector knowledge and research to work with key Plexus leaders, including the Director of Engineering Solutions, Senior Director for Business Development, Senior Director for Customer Management and the Market Sector Vice President, to create and sustain an overall sector marketing strategy.
- Advocate for capability requirements necessary to meet the evolving needs of customers
- Occasionally represent Plexus at conferences and associations that shape, inform, and report on the market sector.
- Frequent travel may be required to meet the needs of the business (estimated 50%).
The successful candidate’s experience, skills and abilities will include:
- Demonstrated success in director level selling and marketing.
- Understanding of the Defense/Security/Aerospace market sector (required) and the EMS industry (desired).
- Understanding and working knowledge of the Aerospace and Defense related product development process, including knowledge in the various specifications that drive the formal development, qualification and/or certification of products.
- Knowledge of business finance and experience developing engineering cost models.
- Maintain the Plexus Customer Relationship Management tool to effectively capture, forecast, and track account and opportunity activity
- The ability to influence and lead without formal authority.
- The ability to proactively solve problems and the ability to make timely and effective decisions to reactively solve problems, when required.
- A proven ability to influence others, including relationship building, conflict resolution and negotiation skills, as well as overall leadership competencies.
- Self-motivated with the ability to follow through on assignments with little to no supervision.
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in a related field is required for this position; a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or technical field such as Engineering is preferred.
- Experience of 5 years is required for this position, assuming education requirements are met.
- Experience in an electronics or engineering design environment required.