The Business Development Manager (BDM) role is accountable for business growth and profitability in the Higher Education industry vertical covering State and Private Universities. The goal would be to close high quality deals each year to achieve sales targets and setup a sustainable foundation for business growth. As part of this role, the BDM will develop a business development plan, generate leads using various techniques including marketing campaigns and professional networks, collaborate with the relevant technology service lines and pre-sales teams to develop client-centric value propositions and offers. The role is target driven and assessed on achieving net new revenue, profitability, and payment collection targets.
Areas of Responsibility
Listed below are some key responsibilities of this role.
- Identify opportunities, target and acquire new clients in the Higher Education industry segment using the firm’s portfolio of value propositions, offerings and services
- Achieve or exceed quarterly and annual targets across the mix of services.
- Develop a business development plan including but not limited to target client list, penetration strategy & contact plan, revenue achievement plan, and go-to-market plan.
- Own the full pursuit cycle for new client acquisition and drive client specific sales pitches in collaboration with the pre-sales teams, service lines, enabling functions, peers, senior executives and other teams as necessary
- Conduct research on target prospects including incumbent competitor analysis and define sales strategies and tactics to help win business
- § Drives active nurturing of leads and deals, moving opportunities towards closure, and achieving compliance in opportunity management
- Conduct client presentations, workshops, pricing and contract negotiations with the client
- Forging and managing relationships with client CXOs, key client stakeholders to promote the firm's positioning and value propositions to the industry and ensuring high customer satisfaction for future business growth.
- Build credibility as a trusted advisor in the region for technology transformation in the Higher Education industry through roadshows, marketing events and campaigns, industry and community events.
- Review sales pipeline and forecast, revenue achievement plan and business plan progress with leadership to ensure target achievement
- Keep up-to-date with new partner products and releases. Develop and manage excellent working partnerships with individual partner and alliances’ executives (e.g. Microsoft, Salesforce and other products/platforms relevant to the client base and/or industry)
- Liaise closely with the delivery team(s), to provide pre-and-post sales support and assistance to clients as required
- Complete necessary internal administration (regular reports) and prepare appropriate letters/proposals/sales visits documentation for clients
Skills, Capabilities & Credentials
- A successful and strong track record in winning business with net new clients in the Higher Education industry for Digital Transformation across Student Experience, Student Success, Academic research, Smart Campus, Cloud Migration and other key higher education priorities.
- Strong knowledge of the industry and its sub-segments (e.g. key drivers of change and disruption, trends, challenges, relevant standards & regulations, outsourcing spends, IT competitive landscape, partner ecosystem, relevant products and solutions, innovative start-ups)
- Proven experience of success selling bundled deals greater than $10M TCV and a history of regularly achieving multi-million sales quotas.
- Ability to introduce the firm's point-of-view and expertise to facilitate choice and decision making with the client environment
- Experience of working in an onsite/offshore model and working in a multi-cultural, multi-stakeholder environment
- A deep understanding of the sales life cycle including demonstrated ability to build/close a funnel/pipeline over an extended period
- Natural ability to build client rapport and relationships
- Comfort and confidence calling on the CXO levels of target institutions
- Excellent communication skills and proven capability to build relationships at all levels especially at the CXO and Dean level.
- Consultative selling style, creative thinking with a pragmatic approach, details and results orientated and organised
Expert big management skills, negotiation skills and knowledge of MSA/contract process & standards