Business Development Manager, Terra
South San Francisco, CA
Verily, an Alphabet company, lives at the intersection of technology, data science and healthcare. Our mission is to make the world’s health data useful so that people enjoy longer and healthier lives. We are developing tools and devices to collect, organize and activate health data, and creating interventions to prevent and manage disease.
The Business and Corporate Development team is responsible for seeking and exploring new opportunities with life science partners. You will be interacting directly with our partners, helping them find ways to partner with Verily on innovative technologies. Your knowledge of relevant life sciences verticals, healthcare software and digital health platforms, and relationships with key industry players will help shape our life sciences strategy.
Our team combines expertise in biology, chemistry, physics, medicine, engineering, computer science, healthcare delivery and more to create interventions that exponentially improve patient care. We partner with leading life sciences, medical device, healthcare systems and government organizations to enable fast development, meaningful advances, and deployment at scale. Our work spans many projects, including Project Baseline, the quest to map human health beginning with a 10,000 person observational study; Liftware, stabilizing utensil handles to aid individuals with hand tremor or limited mobility; and Debug, an effort to eradicate mosquito-borne disease with Sterile Insect Technique. For more information, please visit our website.
- Cradle-to-grave responsibility for a wide range of business transaction types from collaborations, to joint ventures, to multi-party partnerships.
- Display entrepreneurial talent, moving the technology teams and other functions forward to build new relationships that unlock the value potential of Verily’s platforms.
- Help shape Terra’s commercial strategy, including positioning, partnerships, and pricing. Terra (beta site: terra.bio) is a scalable platform for biomedical research, designed to help researchers focus on their science as they access data, run analysis tools, and collaborate.
- Work closely with the Terra product team, at Verily and the Broad Institute, to provide market input and contribute to product commercialization.
- Partner directly or with Google Cloud and other Google teams to drive partnerships in the hospital / health system markets.
- Structure and negotiate agreements with partners by working closely with diverse internal teams, including the formulation of business plans.
- Evaluate opportunities, conduct due diligence, negotiate agreement terms and present recommendations to executive leadership.
- Ph.D, MD, or other advanced degree.
- 12+ years of experience working in a business development role with health technology, healthcare systems or pharma, from sourcing to closing.
- Proven track record negotiating and closing complex deals and leading non-deal corporate development integration projects.
- Excellent written and in-person communication skills, including with C-level executives.
- Experience selling or using sophisticated software products.
- Deal sheet with a proven record of strategic and revenue generating partnerships and collaborations, demonstrating a track record of managing and closing transactions.
- Proven track record of working with cross-functional merger-and-acquisition teams to achieve objectives.
- Prior experience and ability to thrive in a fast-paced, quickly changing startup-like environment. Entrepreneurial spirit with eye towards the long game.
- Distinctive problem-solving and analysis skills, combined with impeccable business judgment and team-enhancing capabilities.
- Excellent project management, negotiation, written and in-person communication skills
- Experience in regulated environments, and in managing and structuring alliances in healthcare, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or other related industries.
- Experience doing market and competitive research.
- Experience working in a distributed multi-company collaboration.