Business Development Manager / Senior Manager / Director
11 - 15 years experience • Biotech/Pharma
Tracking Code 7007
Reporting to the Director, North America Opportunity Development or the Associate General Manager, Clinical & In Vivo Services, the incumbent is responsible for increasing revenue generated by product and service sales within the assigned Business Unit (BU). Demonstrates a high-level of expertise in the utilization of the mouse as a platform for basic biomedical and drug discovery research and in the solutions provided by the Laboratory to solve research problems. The incumbent interacts with decision makers within the assigned market segment and throughout The Lab to secure high value projects that leverage the science of The Laboratory and contribute to our mission.
The incumbent provides management and oversight that includes developing sales plans, implementation of plans, and reporting of results to JMCRS stakeholders. Measures of success include revenue performance versus established sales targets and accepted projects (won opportunities – new and renewed) and expanding the market share of the Laboratory by increasing the number of commercial accounts/customers. Additionally, the North America incumbent will work closely with the ODM regional territory managers as a scientific and technical resource with the primary objectives of developing, refining and implementing strategy for accounts/targets of high strategic value to the Laboratory within the business unit.
In addition, the incumbent is responsible for successfully identifying and closing opportunities independently or collaboratively with regional Opportunity Development Managers in assigned market segments that position JMCRS as a preferred supplier. The incumbent interacts with decision makers within the assigned market segments to convert high-value projects from competitors, increasing market-share and leverages the science of The Laboratory and contribute to our mission.
A Manager is distinguished from a Senior Manager or a Director of Business Development by:
- The number of years of salesexperience in the biomedical/pharmaceutical market
- The complexity of strategic account planning
- Proven ability to negotiate and close new business opportunities
- Consistently demonstrating the ability to independently manage multiple, complex projects
- Proactively identifying new market opportunities and working collaboratively with the BU to bring these to market
The successful candidate should have a committed interest in fulfilling the mission of The Laboratory. Ideally, the individual must have a confident, energetic, and persuasive style that will enable them to work productively and collaboratively within a research driven, non-profit organization for the successful execution of strategy in achieving organizational goals.
Work in conjunction with the Director, North America Opportunity Development and Associate General Manager, Clinical & In Vivo Services to develop and successfully execute the revenue generation strategy for assigned market segment and products:
- Meet or exceed the financial goal(s) for highly complex services delivered by The Laboratory by working in a collaborative manner with the Associate General Manager, Clinical & In Vivo Services, Opportunity Development regional managers, Marketing and otherinternal teams throughout the organization.
- Execute a successful sales conversion strategy that increases market share for competitive product and service offerings at key commercial and academic accounts.
- Independently identify, assemble and present creative sales solutions to Business Unit Managers (BUMs) that result in large awarded studies.
- Proactively identify new customers, especially high-level commercial contacts and provide solutions that create long standing relationships to address their unique needs.
- Proactively maintain Salesforce.com - database with updated customer information as well as updated pipeline information on all business opportunities.
- Serve as the primary BU technical and scientific expert in the field. Use this knowledge to assist in the refinement of BU sales strategy and tactical approach throughout all territories. Master and deliver product presentations in the field.
- For North America territories, travel with regional Opportunity Development Managers to ensure their tactical sales approach is aligned with overall BU strategy and assist in providing product and service specific training and expertise to improve their technical competency.
In addition to the listed Key Responsibilities:
- A Senior Manager is required to provide ongoing product positioning and technical training to the ODM team in his/her territory, and proactively assist the ODM team is preparing their territory plans for the assigned BU.
- A Director is required to be a full partner in the generation of the annual BU business plan, working with the Business Unit Manager.
- Actively seek, analyze and communicate market trends, intelligence and competitor information to management. Work with BUMs, Marketing and Sales to respond rapidly to changing markets and strategize new approaches for improving revenue performance.
- Demonstrate commitment to creating a high-performance culture and positive work environment. Includes continued effort toward improving the customer experience, coping with and supporting change, commitment to a solution driven approach to problem solving, and embracing leadership opportunities.
- For international territories, provide technical and scientific support to international distributors as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Manager: BS in the biomedical sciences with minimum of 2years of demonstrated success developing scientific business opportunities. An advanced degree in Science or Business is preferred.
- Senior Manager: preceding requirement in addition to 5years or more of direct business experience in biomedical or animal science sales including documented, successful territory management, strategic account development and a demonstrated ability to mentor peers and/or team.
- Director: preceding requirement in addition to a minimum of 10 +years of significant relevant scientific and business development accomplishment in related areas.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, initiate and execute complex business strategies and to develop significant new accounts.
- Demonstrated technical and scientific expertise relevant to the sale and support of JMCRS products and services.
- Advanced interpersonal skills sufficient for developing complex, dynamic relationships with a diverse variety of individuals representing a broad cross-section of cultures, disciplines and levels of sophistications.
- Ability to travel up to 60%.
- Advanced verbal and written skills sufficient to communicate with senior business managers in customer organizations.
- Ability to make important decisions carrying large financial consequences, often under some pressure and tight time deadlines.
- Ability to effectively persuade and influence the thinking of others through social and verbal interactions and presence.
- Demonstrated ability to be a positive team player across diverse internal and external organizations.
- Ability to formulate, implement and evaluate complex plans and programs.
- Must possess valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.