NV5 (NASDAQ: NVEE) is a provider of professional and technical engineering and consulting solutions to public and private sector clients in the infrastructure, energy, construction, program management and environmental markets. NV5 is an ENR Top 500 firm; we offer a full range of professional services in offices throughout the U.S.
NV5 Inc., is a full-service engineering and design services provider. Locally in Miami we provide geotechnical engineering, construction materials testing, special inspection and private provider services. We maintain a team of professionals, including architects and engineers, to support our client’s projects.
NV5 is currently seeking a Business Development Leader (BDL) for our Miami, FL location. This is a mid-level engineering practice and technical sales position that combines business development aptitude and experience with engineering expertise and technical leadership. The person in this position will “develop a practice” in the sense that he or she will promote NV5 services in engineering, targeting private development clients in the south Florida region working out of the Miami Lakes, Florida office. Experience in the architecture, engineering, and/or construction field is a plus.
The BDL carries out responsibilities by engaging two focus areas, Business Development and Marketing.
For each of the focus Areas, the position requires close collaboration with others at all levels of the organization, as described in italics at the end of each focus Area description.
- Generate sales leads through prospecting and networking; develop those leads and participate in activities that lead to sales closure.
- Identify client needs, and effectively promote NV5 as the preferred resource to address those needs.
- Monitor existing clients and competitors to identify industry-related and client-specific trends.
- Identify business partners and subcontractors for the mutual pursuit of business opportunities.
- As a link between the client and NV5 technical staff, help ensure that client expectations align with project deliverables.
- Effectively communicate client insights to corporate marketing to ensure consistency between NV5's message and the client’s needs.
- Develop and execute an account plan setting forth revenue and profitability goals for key clients.
- Communicate with clients to monitor satisfaction NV5's services.
- Success in this Focus Area demands collaboration and cooperation with the Regional Business Unit Leader (RBUL), Market Sector Leaders, Corporate Marketing, and Service Line Leadership.
- The PDL interacts on a regular basis with others at all levels of the organization. This interaction occurs in two manners: (1) Collaboration (non-hierarchical) and (2) Reporting (hierarchical).
- “Collaboration” is non-hierarchical; it means to work together routinely, cooperatively, and constructively, but to have no official reporting relationship one to the other. The italicized paragraphs at each Focus Area above provide examples of the extent and kind of collaboration engaged in by the PDL. Not by way of limitation, the key parties and associated staff with whom the PDL collaborates are the RBUL; Market Sector Leaders; Corporate Marketing; and the Service Line Leaders.
- “Reporting” is hierarchical; it means to work together routinely, cooperatively, and constructively, and to do so within the context of official reporting relationships, upward and downward.
The PDL reports to the Regional Business Unit Leader. The PDL has no direct reports.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Three to Ten years of total experience in the technical consulting field, such as engineering, construction management, facilities management, commissioning, or related field.
- At least three years in technical sales and at least three years in engineering practice.
- Success in this position requires a person who possesses skills that can be applied to circumstances external to the company and internal to the company. For external activities, the person must be able to represent the company effectively in front of existing and prospective clients, and to persuasively present the company’s credentials in a manner that leads to sales closure. Also for external activities, the person must demonstrate initiative and perseverance essential to a successful sales and promotion program. For internal activities, the person must be an effective collaborator with an ability to work constructively on project teams.
Measures of Success
The person assigned to this position will be successful when the following can be demonstrated:
- Identified new client prospects consistent with mutually-established goals.
- Contributed in a material way to new contracts or change order contracts consistent with mutually-established goals.
- Meaningfully expanded the company’s visibility and name recognition in the assigned region.
- Provided a link between client expectations and the company’s engineering practice.
- Worked cooperatively with others at all levels of the organization