Job Description :
The Business Development Professional (BDP) will support the Emerging Technologies Laboratory (ETL) at the Advanced Technology Laboratories (ATL), the R&D arm of Lockheed Martin Corp.
In addition to growing its current core technology focus areas, the ETL applies start-up concepts to the exploration and validation of new focus areas, with the goal of addressing current and future challenges.
At present the ETL is maximizing the performance of the human-machine team; developing new technologies enabled by deep understanding of material physics and associated interactions; advancing capabilities in Advanced Collaborative and Tactical Autonomy, Extreme Robotic Mobility and Manipulation, High Complexity Planning, and Navigation & Situational Awareness in Challenging Environments.
In this role, the BDP will develop and lead a BD strategy that achieves the lab’s overall business strategy and needs; manage and execute our pursuit plan; and in collaboration with others organize and arrange customer meetings to position ETL for growth and success.
The BDP will mentor other ETL staff in BD practices and techniques, customer qualification, pursuit evaluation, shaping, proposal process, and positioning for follow-on during execution.
The BDP serves ATL as an active member of the cross-ATL BD team, supporting the leadership in various ways e.g., Staff Meetings, Strategic Planning, Strategic Concept Document, ATL Annual Report, hosting customers at ATL, attending conferences/Industry Days, Strategic Document Repository and Tools, Customer Relations Management, .
Customer Relations: The BDP will help identify, establish, foster, maintain and track customer relationships critical to identifying applications for the technology, shaping program opportunities, developing capture strategies, formulating winning proposals, and advising program managers on the execution of existing business.
ETL's diverse customer base includes LM business units, DARPA, Service Labs and commercial entities.
The BDP must have the ability to understand customer needs and manage customer relationships that vary from fundamental research to potentially fieldable or commercial products.
Business Teaming Relations: The BDP is responsible for management of relationships including assisting in the establishment of teams that compete on specific business opportunities.
Analyze Opportunities and Manage Capture Efforts: The BDP identifies competitive and non-competitive business opportunities, and prioritizes them against our strategy and capabilities in a quantitative fashion to determine allocation of resources to those opportunities (bid/no bid).
When bidding, the BDP helps establish proposal teams, win themes and strategies, and contributes as needed to the proposal effort.
The BDP plays an important role in preparing, managing and delivering 360-degree communications for the ETL, including communication of lab strategy, lab capability and program briefings, marketing materials and comprehensive results. The BDP also helps tailor communications to different audiences to include customers, government officials, conference attendees, outreach partners, executive management, and other stakeholders. The BDP is a technology ambassador for the ETL across LM, encouraging technology transition and other business collaborations.
Performance Metrics: The BDP is responsible for establishing and quantitatively managing the performance of capture efforts to include orders projections, orders performance, and proposal win rates. It is expected the BDP applies these metrics to future efforts to refine our strategy and process.
Advice to Lab Management: The BDP uses a broad understanding of the marketplace and technology to advise lab management on lab strategy, allocation of independent R & D (IRAD) resources, program management and various related topics.
This position will be located in CHERRY HILL, NJ or ARLINGTON, VA.
* Substantial experience in Government Science and Technology businesses e.g. DARPA, ARL, ONR, AFRL, etc. having project or new business development support responsibility or military experience
* Substantial experience in a commercial entity having project or new business development support responsibility
* Strong written and verbal communication skills demonstrated by experience in teaching others complex concepts/subject
* Excellent teaming and partnering capabilities
* Strong business acumen
* Ability to influence at all levels
* Strategic Thinking ability
* Bachelor’s degree or higher in a Technology, Business Administration or similar degree
* Strong skills in developing customer intimacy and trust
* Advanced degree in a technology discipline of relevance to ETL or Master of Business Administration.
* Inquisitive nature and ability to quickly gain a working knowledge (Scientific American level) of sophisticated physical, chemical, and biological systems including: quantum mechanics, machine learning, human cognition, materials physics, and others.
* 10+ years in a government laboratory.
* 10+ years in a commercial industry.
* Ability to favorably represent ATL and ETL in public and private forums.
* A strong team orientation. Ability to become an integral part of the overall ETL and to work with teams at all organizational levels to achieve the overall organizational goals.
* Effective in delivering results and innovative concepts in a highly competitive environment
* Active Top Secret or TS/SCI clearance