The Business Development Manager will participate in the business development and marketing efforts of various assigned litigation practice areas. This role will work closely with the Senior Business Development Manager, as well as operational teams throughout the firm to develop and execute on key initiatives and business plan objectives.
The Business Development Manager will execute and provide tactical support for business development and marketing initiatives for various litigation practice groups, including:
- Preparing all marketing deliverables, including maintaining and updating standard marketing literature and website content for the practice groups on a regular basis; preparing pitch books, RFPs, deal lists, brochures and other bespoke marketing materials, as well as drafting original content as needed
- Executing litigation business development and marketing plans, including those specific to practice groups, geographies, client teams, industry groups and individual partners. Develop measurable tactics, and regularly track and report on progress.
- Working with lawyers to advance and achieve individual, Litigation Department and firm BD and marketing objectives.
- Providing overarching BD and marketing support for several assigned litigation practice areas as well as cover and coordinate with the other managers on general litigation requests.
- Working with partners and members of the BD department to evaluate and coordinate events, sponsorships, speaking engagements, thought leadership, online and new media opportunities, etc., connecting them with clients and potential clients.
- Obtaining client, prospect and market research, working with the Business Intelligence Group, as needed. Analyze research, and identify key takeaways, opportunities and competitors.
- Work with the communications team to create and submit award submissions and develop thought leadership pieces.
- Oversee marketing and BD database updates, including practice and matter descriptions, website, biographies, mailing lists and CRM.
- Bachelor's degree.
- 5-7 years of experience in a successful business development or marketing role in a professional services environment. Law-firm specific background on the Litigation side is required.
- Must have an in-depth knowledge of the litigation landscape, including an understanding of relevant litigation matter types, key players in the marketplace, industry trends and competitor law firms. A strong understanding of litigation terminology and types, as well as the marketing of these services to clients is required.
- Focused on execution and achieving measurable results through superior project and management skills.
- Ability to create a team environment where ideas can be shared, questions can be asked and individuals are accountable for their own actions.
- Excellent communication ability, including writing, editing and presentation skills.
- Understanding of the pressures of working in a corporate environment and demonstrated potential for working well with attorneys who have a wide range of business development goals and marketing skills. Manages stress well.
- Ability to work in an environment with shifting priorities to meet time-sensitive deadlines, as well as manage multiple projects simultaneously, including confidential matters.
- Highly organized with a meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent inter-personal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work confidently and collaboratively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Resourceful, driven attitude with a desire and energy to use a "whatever it takes" approach to ensure team success.
- Overtime work is often required, including occasional weekends. Domestic travel may also be required.
- Exhibits high energy and genuine enthusiasm for the subject of legal marketing activities and goals.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of the work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.