NMS Labs is the nation's leading independent provider of professional laboratory testing services, specializing in clinical toxicology, forensic science, and other vitally important areas of esoteric testing and expert services. We employ more than 360 highly trained professionals who work closely with leading healthcare providers, medical researchers, and various members of the criminal and civil justice system to provide integrated testing and consultative services.
NMS Labs is an ISO accredited independent provider of clinical and forensic toxicology, endocrinology and criminalistics laboratory services for the health care and forensic sciences communities. Since 1970, we have built a reputation as a provider of innovative, first-to-market and hard-to-find testing that has evolved to a broad menu of over 2,500 laboratory tests.
The Business Development Manager role is focused on the identification and pursuit of sustainable opportunities that support the Clinical business strategy and growth model. The Business Development Manager is a member of the Business Unit Leadership Team and as such, is expected to be both a strategic contributor and an individual contributor. The role will be assigned quantitative sales objectives as well as more qualitative sales process and lead development goals. Measures of success will be the ability to identify relevant sales prospects, the creativity to gain access, the business acumen to build partnership and shared success, and the sales mentality to conclude with revenue achievement. Partnership with internal stakeholders includes the sales team, marketing, product management, and other teams will be important to achieve the objectives.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in life sciences or closely related discipline; advanced degree / MBA preferred
- 5+ successful years in customer-facing roles, including at least two years with direct responsibility for a sales quota; business development experience is highly desired
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Build and execute a growth strategy comprised of a funnel of sales opportunities representing commercial relationships with adjacent market segments within the broadly defined Clinical business unit
- Conduct research to identify new target markets, accounts, and customer needs
- Proactively pursue and arrange business meetings with prospective clients while executing an adaptive selling approach to gain access and convey the NMS Labs value proposition
- Partner with Marketing to refine the delivery of the value proposition for specific customer segments and personas to best position NMS Labs
- Support Marketing in identifying capability and service offering gaps that should be addressed through R&D and other investments
- Provide support to the Clinical sales team to replicate and scale the successful selling approaches to additional accounts
- Partner with Sales & Marketing to influence and finalize sales contracts
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strategic selling skills: demonstrated success modifying a selling approach to win new customers, preferably in new customer segments
- Customer-centric: excellent affirmative listening skills, able to identify and articulate unspoken or subtle customer needs
- Results-oriented: demonstrated track record of delivering to sales objectives; perseveres with ambition, optimism, and energy through rejection
- Relationship builder: ability to identify key decision markers in customer organizations and develop sustainable relationships at and around that level of the organization
- Collaborator: ability to leverage internal partners to support technical, scientific, and operational aspects of sales messaging; ability to communicate and advocate for product or capability development to support new market segment needs
- Domain knowledge: general familiarity with lab testing & services highly desirable; analytical chemistry and toxicology is a plus
- Leadership Presence: the ability to distill and convey complex strategies to multiple internal stakeholders in order to achieve maximum buy-in and momentum
- Ethical salesperson: ability to operate with high regard for the rigorous ethical standards that NMS Labs maintains in all aspects of our business
- Ability to talk, hear, stand, reach with hands and arms, and use hands and fingers to manipulate instrument/equipment controls, computer keyboard, office equipment, objects, or tools
- Moving from one work location to another to sit and stand, sometimes for extended periods of time
- Vision (with correction) including color, distance, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- Travel approximately 10% domestic.
A few reasons why NMS Labs employees love the company:
Located in suburban Philadelphia, NMS Labs offers a stimulating and diverse work environment with competitive salary/compensation plans and great benefits, including medical/dental/vision/prescription plan, life/STD/LTD, flexible spending account, tuition reimbursement, 401k plan with generous match and profit sharing pension plan.
- NMS Labs offers a stimulating and diverse working environment and unique culture
- FREE pretzels on Tuesdays, fresh fruit on Wednesdays, yearly influenza shots, parking, fully equipped exercise room with locker rooms, wellness programs
- In April, weeklong celebration for National Medical Laboratory Professionals
- Company Wellness Committee and ‘Activiteam’ dedicated to plan exciting events and seminars throughout the year
- In July, Founder’s Day celebration
- In December, holiday celebration for employees and their families
- Halloween Potluck, Company Summer Outing, Charity Drives