Business Development Manager
8 - 10 years experience • Pharmaceuticals & Biotech
Req ID #: 36991
Promotes and sells the organization's products and services within an assigned geographic area, product range, or targeted customer accounts to meet or exceed sales targets. Develops profitable business with new and existing customers. Oversees sales expansion, introduces new products/services to clients and organize visits to current and potential clients. Pursues sales leads; visits existing and new customers; assesses customer needs and suggests appropriate products and services. Responds to customer enquiries; negotiates prices and delivery times within limits of authority; and concludes sales orders to meet revenue targets. Identifies, researches, and contacts prospective customers and builds positive relationships that will generate future sales and repeat business.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and implement short- and long-range operating objectives, strategies and marketing plans required to meet the business’ long-term growth and profitability objectives in the defined region or territory.
- Work with financial analysts to analyze business performance; develop and implement business strategies to respond to regional trends and/or issues.
- Partner with scientific and operations directors to establish and maintain an organization structure to meet the needs of the region/territory and delegate limits of authority to subordinate management regarding policies, contractual commitments, expenditures, and personnel matters.
- Approve and manage budgets and expenses associated with direct reports
- In partnership with scientific and operations directors, represent the organization to industry groups, key customers, representatives of government and regulatory agencies, and the general public.
- Assist in the global development of the business. Assist with due diligence on potential new business opportunities, as required.
- Perform high-level business development activities, including meeting with potential customers, making capabilities presentations, negotiating contract terms, and ensuring a timely and thorough new customer process.
- Maintain high-level contact with key accounts. Interact as necessary to address issues, gather feedback, and generally keep abreast of industry trends and activities.
- Interact with government representatives and customers when site visits are conducted.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in Life Sciences or related scientific discipline. Master’s degree in a related scientific discipline or Business Administration (MBA) preferred.
- Experience: Eight or more years related experience in a Life Science sector.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: None.
- Other: Exceptional presentation skills required.
About Corporate Functions
The Corporate Functions provide operational support across Charles River in areas such as Human Resources, Finance, IT, Legal, Sales, Quality Assurance, Marketing, and Corporate Development. They partner with their colleagues across the company to develop and drive strategies and to set global standards. The functions are essential to providing a bridge between strategic vision and operational readiness, to ensure ongoing functional innovation and capability improvement.