Bard has joined BD - Bard Peripheral Vascular is now BD Peripheral Intervention and is located Tempe, AZ – where a tradition of vascular innovation spans decades of focusing on improving the quality of patients’ lives. From C. R. Bard’s first arterial prosthesis developed in 1954, Bard and the division of Bard Peripheral Vascular have demonstrated commitment to innovative medical technology by introducing surgical and interventional devices for peripheral vascular patency, while providing exceptional service and support to surgeons, interventionalists and radiologists. Bard Peripheral Vascular is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. #LI-JC1
Summary of Position with General Responsibilities
Responsible for identifying, investigating and presenting external products, product lines, technologies, companies and investment opportunities which will positively impact top line sales growth for BD Peripheral Intervention. This position will identify, investigate, assess, and make recommendations to management pertaining to the deal specific value proposition for BD Peripheral Intervention to acquire new lines of sales and business. This position reports to the New Business Development Director and works closely with BD Peripheral Intervention’s senior management team.
This position interfaces with appropriate division management and will contribute to the negotiation strategy and tactics of BD Peripheral Intervention’s deals, and at times will serve as the principle negotiator and executor of the deal.
Essential Job Functions
The following duties and responsibilities are intended to be representative of the work performed by the incumbent in this position and are not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position.
- Contributes to BD Peripheral Intervention’s execution of the entire BD Process, from investigation, assessment, negotiation, due diligence, to closing and integration.
- Creates and maintains a sound understanding of the business goals and strategies, technologies, products, markets, competitive situations and key players related to BD Peripheral Intervention.
- Targets external opportunities for potential acquisition: products, product lines, new growth platforms and technologies, private and public companies, all consistent with BD Peripheral Intervention’s growth strategy.
- Conducts sufficient review with functional group interaction of opportunities identified or assigned. Reaches a recommendation and identifies next steps.
- Investigates and evaluates opportunities in sufficient depth to define the values, risks, benefits and fundamental structure of the deal. Prepares and conducts a formal proposal to BD Peripheral Intervention’s management.
- Operates as the project leader and at times, the sole or principle contributor, on a focused number of identified BD investigations and assessments.
- Interfaces with all functional groups within the division to assess market potential, division fit and technical feasibility.
- Leads a cross functional team within BD Peripheral Intervention during the diligence and integration planning of a deal.
PRINCIPAL CHALLENGES AND PROBLEM SOLVING:
This position must focus and execute BD Periperal Intervention’s Business Development strategic plan to grow the business through new externally sourced lines of business. This position initiates, evaluates, and executes on business opportunities for BD Peripheral Intervention. The performance of this function has significant revenue impact. The incumbent must be able to investigate a potential product, product line or investment to ensure its viability at BD Peripheral Intervention. This involves building a network of people and information sources, marketing and technical potential. The incumbent has the challenge of achieving results while maintaining objectivity and essential balance throughout the entire BD process.
Customer and Key Contacts:
Senior Management Team
External industry customers
- Ability to rapidly assimilate a diverse amount of information and the capability to build a business plan to support acquisitions.
- Proficient with financial statements, competitive analysis valuations and function assessments.
- Effective negotiating skills.
- Ability to network business sources for business development projects.
- Ability to build both formal and informal teams to complete relevant phases of the BD process.
- Effective writing and presenting skills.
- Must be able to analyze business relevancy of the deal-related issues and communicate implications to internal stakeholders. Must understand, communicate with, and gain input on relevant due diligence and contractual matters to BPV’s leadership within each functional area.
- Effective skills at influence and persuasion. This function identifies opportunities which are generally disruptive to the internal organization and at times, to the target organization. The incumbent must have the ability to build supportive cross functional teams within BPV, across Bard, and into the target organization.
- Must possess a track record indicating successful execution utilizing strong project and program management skills.
- Broad commercial management experience (sales, marketing and business development) and a demonstrated track record of achievement in the medical device or related industry.
Additional Desirable Qualifications Skills and Knowledge
- Effective research skills. Ability to rapidly assimilate a diverse amount of information and the capability to contribute to a business plan to support acquisitions.
- Proficient with financial statements, competitive analysis valuations and functional assessments. Computer skills are essential including proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, as well as proprietary due diligence database software systems such as Intralinks.
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written.
- Self-starter, motivated, and seeks a challenge.
- Ability to network business sources for ongoing business development programs and projects.
- Ability to contribute to BD Peripheral Intervention's formal and informal teams to complete relevant phases of the NBD process.
- Effective writing and presenting skills.
- Must be able to analyze business relevancy of the deal-related information and data and communicate issues to the NBD team, and at times as appropriate, to others within the BD Peripheral Intervention team.
Education and/or Experience
- This position requires a Bachelors Degree
- An MBA degreeexperience is a plus.
- A minimum of three years of related health care industry experience or equivalency, including at least two years in a Business Development or equivalent negotiating role.
- Previous deal and or due diligence experience is a plus.
- This position requires a background in the medical device industry: clinician needs and drivers, products and technologies, development and small cap companies, and competitors. Must demonstrate capability to conduct depth assessment of organizational, financial, technical, functional, and people. Experienced negotiator, able to achieve results and close deals. The incumbent must also have demonstrated networking skills and capability to provide sound advice to BD Peripheral Intervention’s management team.