The Business Development Manager is responsible for developing and maintaining current customer relationships and identifying and developing new customers. This role may work in partnership with an Engineering leader for each account as an account team. Ultimate account responsibilities are with the Business Development Manager. This will include all discussions and negotiations with the aim to grow sales by building new and retaining existing customers.
Responsible and accountable to keep the Manager of Sales informed on all pertinent information which directly affects: sales, customer negotiations and discussions, competitive actions, or our business policy to provide quality products and services to its customers.
Overview of Essential Duties / Functions:
- Build strong relationships with new and existing customers to drive sales growth
- Primary focus will be to actively pursue/qualify new accounts, markets, and products that match our core competencies
- Ownership of sales, market planning, performance metrics, forecasting and reporting, market pricing and margins
- Effectively communicate, organize, and facilitate the needs of the customers to internal team members
- Respond to requests for quotes, meeting the quotation deadline established by the customer
- Collaborate with the customer engineering teams, project manager, operations, and supply chain to accomplish sales and quotes goals
- Negotiate contracts with the goal of achieving the best possible outcome for Universal, with access to the appropriate internal departments to accomplish these goals (accounting, engineering, operations, purchasing, quality)
- Obtain knowledge in the application and general design of company products and ability to convey this in an effective manner to customers
- Demonstrate to customers that they have a strong advocate tied to common goals, along with the positive results they can expect from a relationship with Universal
- Preserve and improve the profit margins for all product and services sold
- Handle customer complaints, understand customer’s motives, needs and specifications
- Facilitate Lean initiatives, training and related matters as requested by the customer
- Assist Accounting in the timely collection of customer payments
- For BDM’s with Sales Representative Responsibilities: Develop, administer and manage a sales strategy for Sales Representatives
- Domestic and international travel required: 20-40%
- Complete other duties as assigned
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with emphasis in Sales or Marketing; or equivalent sales experience is required
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in relationship based sales of a technical product in a manufacturing environment is required
- A strong technical background is preferred in order to maintain and build upon the existing relationships
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office applications, also SAP or other ERP and CRM experience preferred
- Experience interfacing with an Engineering team is preferred
- Bilingual is a plus
- Sales results and goal oriented with ability to balance multiple projects
- High energy level with a strong work ethic, well organized, and possesses strong analytical and reasoning abilities necessary in the art of "closing the deal"
- Must be a team player with ability to work in a diverse group
- Ability to establish credibility and be decisive while developing positive long term relationships with customers, coworkers, and representatives
- Must be a people person with well-developed interpersonal skills. An innate ability to get along with diverse personalities; tactful, mature and flexible
- This position requires the ability to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office equipment, etc.
- Consistently operates a computer and other office equipment such as a, copy machine, computer printer, calculator, etc.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the work-day
- Ability to frequently communicate, verbally and or written with employees, management, vendors and customers