Alston & Bird is seeking an experienced business development professional to work with our Environmental practice and other groups within the Litigation Area. Under the direction of the Business Development Associate Director, you will serve as the primary point of contact for all marketing and business development initiatives of the assigned groups, including but not limited to client and prospect engagement, developing and enhancing pitch materials and RFP responses, maintaining practice materials, supporting and coaching attorney presentations, and driving other practice and team efforts. This role entails a high level of attorney contact and visibility and requires skillful communication and adept workload prioritization.
- Working with assigned practice group leaders and/or practice teams, as well as the Business Development Associate Director, in developing business development and marketing strategies and action plans and leading the implementation efforts.
- Developing presentations for new business including outlining the strategic approach, compiling market research, copywriting and editing materials, and ensuring on-time delivery of high-quality materials.
- Conducting follow-up with attorneys after submission of client pitches and other business development events regarding next steps and tracking results of pitches and other business development efforts.
- Managing internal and external seminars for clients/prospects of assigned practice groups. Assisting attorneys in developing seminar topics and hosting those programs for live or virtual audiences.
- Proactively communicating and collaborating with colleagues in the Marketing & Business Development team to support firm-wide cross-selling initiatives and enhancing client service efforts.
- Collaborating with the Business Development Associate Director and with firm communication team to increase attorney and firm visibility, name recognition, and the awareness of legal services available among potential and existing clients, including, but not limited to submissions to Chambers, Best Lawyers, Legal 500, and other national and local legal media in support of attorney and firm accolades.
- Teaming with practice group leaders and other marketing and business development colleagues in developing content for group/team meetings and development conferences or retreats.
- Any other requests deemed necessary by the Chief Marketing Officer and Business Development Associate Director in support of business development efforts for the practice groups and the firm.
Skills Needed to be Successful
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under tight time constraints.
- High level of interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence to maximize the level of trust and rapport with the attorneys.
- A strong team player, who recognizes the value of working well with others, both at the attorney level and within the administrative staff.
- Excellent writer with strong proofreading skills.
- Works as a team member and shows respect for co-workers.
- Commitment to providing superior customer service.
- Ability to interact effectively with people at all levels of the firm.
- Advanced knowledge of PC applications, including the entire suite of MS Office applications (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- College degree, preferably in marketing, communications or English; MBA preferred.
- Work experience reflecting a progressive career path within a law firm or other professional services firm. Minimum five to seven years prior experience required, as well as proven managerial track record.
- Repetitive motions‑substantial movements of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
- Crouching, kneeling, standing, climbing, stooping, walking, pushing, pulling and lifting.
- Talking‑expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken word. Ability to convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately.
- Hearing‑ability to receive detailed information through oral communication.
- Sitting most of the time.