Business Development Lead
South San Francisco, CA
Verily, an Alphabet company, lives at the intersection of technology, data science and healthcare. Our mission is to make the world’s health data useful so that people enjoy longer and healthier lives. We are developing tools and devices to collect, organize and activate health data, and creating interventions to prevent and manage disease.
The Business and Corporate Development team is responsible for seeking and exploring new opportunities with life science partners. You will be interacting directly with our partners, helping them find ways to partner with Verily on innovative technologies. Your knowledge of relevant life sciences verticals, healthcare software and digital health platforms, and relationships with key industry players will help shape our life sciences strategy.
Our team combines expertise in biology, chemistry, physics, medicine, engineering, computer science, and more to create interventions that exponentially improve patient care. We partner with leading life sciences, medical device and government organizations to enable fast development, meaningful advances, and deployment at scale. Our work spans many projects, including Project Baseline, the quest to map human health beginning with a 10,000 person observational study; and associated clinical studies platform used by top pharma companies; Liftware,chronic disease management platforms like Onduo and Debug, an effort to eradicate mosquito-borne disease with Sterile Insect Technique. For more information, please visit our website.
- Advocate for critical partnerships across the organization consistent with the business development strategy and objectives; gain key stakeholders' support, and manage Verily’s organizational resources and teams.
- Coordinate teams to form cross-functional integration plans that support the overall goals of the deal/investment.
- Cradle-to-grave responsibility for a wide range of transaction types from collaborations, to joint ventures, to multi-party partnerships.
- Structure and negotiate agreements with partners by working closely with diverse internal engineering and product management teams to formulate business plans. Evaluate opportunities, conduct due diligence, negotiating agreement terms and present recommendations to senior leadership.
- Work with senior leadership to define strategic requirements for partnership opportunities, determine capability or operational fit with existing strategy, develop, nurture, and manage partnership pipeline.
- Establish and grow relationships with existing and new partners. Act as the central point of contact and maintain comprehensive account knowledge; Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- MBA or other advanced degree.
- 12+ years of experience working in a business development role with health technology, or healthcare systems, and technology.
- Deal sheet with a proven record of strategic and revenue generating partnerships and collaborations, demonstrating a track record of managing and closing transactions.
- Proven track record of working with cross-functional merger-and-acquisition teams to achieve objectives.
- Ability to manage multiple deals and/or a complex deal and lead non-deal corporate development integration projects.
- Comfortable with ambiguity, with a desire to help teams get to clarity.
- Strong strategic and analytics skills, able to drive exploration of new areas in healthcare. Experience leading complex operational and strategic initiatives across various geographies.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with eye towards the long game.
- Experience in enterprise software development.
- Ability to travel.
- Experience in regulated environments, and in managing and structuring alliances in healthcare, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or other related industries.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, quickly changing startup-like environment.
- Distinctive problem-solving and analysis skills, combined with impeccable business judgment and team-enhancing capabilities.
- Effective project management, relationship-building and negotiation skills. Excellent written and oral communication, and interpersonal skills.