Developing Business Development Plan
- Develops annual business development plan for target market sectors that meet the overall business goals and updates the plan on a regular basis to reflect progress and market changes.
- Works with senior management to integrate plan as part of the Division’s Business Plan.
- Understands the generic strengths and vulnerabilities of major competitors and develops sales strategies to respond effectively.
Prospecting to Generate Leads
- Establishes initial contact at owner level in potential customer organizations and takes ownership of interaction with prospects to identify expectations/needs and project opportunities.
- Establishes and expands relationships within the target market sectors in order to stay up to date on trends and be informed of opportunities prior to becoming public knowledge, and strategically position McCarthy for responding to RFQs/RFPs.
- Participates in trade shows and other client-related events.
- Coordinates with otherinternal leaders for market interface opportunities when appropriate.
- Utilizes databases to record sales contacts and opportunities and to obtain and retain project and company information for inclusion in marketing and proposal products.
Leveraging and Teaming within McCarthy
- Collaborates with other groups within company to implement appropriate strategies to address business opportunities and overcome obstacles.
- Ensures that Division leadership team is involved within appropriate opportunities at pivotal points and is aware of significant developments.
- Communicates regularly with the pursuit team to ensure that they are informed on significant developments and customer issues.
- Fully participates in Business Development department meetings to share best practice, review performance against targets, and conduct informal training.
Managing and Forecasting Sales Pipeline
- Qualifies potential opportunities early in the sales cycle and manage the pipeline in his/her market sectors to ensure that opportunities are pursued in a timely way, across various stages of the sales cycle and that sales expectations are met.
- Updates lead/contact management system to track progress.
- Ensures that realistic sales forecasts are provided to Division Leadership and that they are kept aware of any significant changes or developments.
- Reviews opportunities with manager to determine priority and decision on pursuit.
Positioning and Selling
- Builds relationships at multiple levels of accounts and across all constituents.
- Works as a strategic partner with manager relative to his/her assigned market initiatives.
- Prepares for each sales call, sets specific call objectives and allocates part of every sales call to understanding or clarifying the customers’ business challenges.
- Responds effectively to customer requests, resolves critical issues and meets all commitments in a timely manner.
- Develops sales strategies for dealing with obstacles, customer objections or competitive situations.
- Qualifies opportunities and prioritizes time based on understanding of McCarthy’s business requirements.
Presenting the McCarthy Solution
- Manages the interview process and coaches the team to ensure that all client requirements are met and that McCarthy is positioned as well as possible for success.
- Takes the lead on strategizing and development of RFQ and RFP responses and presentations, working closely with key resources, and refines non-technical elements of proposal.
- Develops sufficient technical and business knowledge to present a compelling value proposition to prospects and customers.
- BA/BS degree and 10 years of experience within the construction industry.
- Specific experience in commercial construction industry within our core market sectors.
- Solid knowledge of construction delivery methods.
- Demonstrated knowledge of construction process.
- Track record of success in winning business in challenging markets.
- Ability to build and maintain trust-based relationships with existing clients
- Strong relationships at the executive level within market sectors.
- Strong business acumen (financially and operationally).
- Clear understanding of the design, construction and acquisition processes within target markets.
- Proactive and execution-oriented in his/her approach to business development. Must have a thorough knowledge of business development process (identification, qualification, capture and bid activities).
- Demonstrated collaborative team leadership and team building characteristics.
- Ability to influence at senior levels in organizations (peers, customers, partners and within and outside of the company).
- Excellent communication skills; good listener.