Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group’s member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group, a Fortune 500 company.
We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
Our Fresno, CA profit center is looking to add a Crop Business Developer Director to the team.
- Responsible for activities and services of the department / area / territory, ensuring an efficient level of administration and that company standards and customer relationships are maintained.
- Oversees the development of productive agency plant(s) / territory(ies).
- Accountable for the development of marketing plans for assigned territory(ies), taking into consideration the strengths and weaknesses of the agency plant(s) / territory(ies) and competitors, divisional objectives and overall market conditions.
- Oversees staff in prospecting, appointing and managing agency relationships and in achieving production and profitability objectives.
- May oversees the development and execution of agency action plans for achieving individual agency objectives.
- Ensures timely review and analysis of agents' production and results and that appropriate corrective measures, including modification or cancelation of agency appointments, are implemented.
- Oversees resolution to problems between company and producer.
- Has responsibility for marketing company products and services to existing and prospect agencies.
- Serves as a technical expert in and ensures staff is able to interpret and explain products, electronic processing systems, facilities, practices and services.
- Gathers, analyzes and maintains competitive information. Makes appropriate recommendations based on competitive landscape.
- As appropriate for line of business:
- Has accountability for own profit-oriented risk selection / rejection, pricing decisions, within designated authority, and those made by members of the team / unit.
- Empowers employees to use independent judgment and initiative to support business goals.
- Monitors aggregate quality and pricing for assigned territory(ies).
- Ensures the monitoring of persistency, placement and agent / agency debt.
- Ensures a high level of customer service.
- Binds and / or oversees the binding of risks in the field, within level of authority. Oversees and may perform risk appraisals.
- May take an active role, as needed, for large and / or complex accounts during upstart and / or critical periods in order to assist agents in producing business.
- Ensures that effective business relationships with internal and external customers / coworkers are developed and maintained in order to attract and retain profitable business.
- Ensures consistency across the team when communicating with / responding to agents and brokers.
- Identifies opportunities for and may spearhead development of new business and / or programs.
- Administers and applies insurance laws and regulations and as appropriate administers, applies and may updateunderwriting rules and guidelines and rating manual rules.
- Analyzes quality and quantity of risks underwritten and prepares reports to communicate this information.
- Provides tactical leadership and strategic direction to the unit.
- Ensures the department or functional area meets policies and practices. Aligns unit with business objectives.
- Plans and ensures that the unit meets budget and performance targets.
- Has accountability for the performance, development and coaching of staff (hiring, firing, performance management, pay increases, etc.). Ensures the department has a sufficient number of trained staff to provide necessary levels of service and achieve department performance results.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
Field of Study: Liberal Arts, Business or a related discipline
Experience: 10 or more years of related experience, including 4 or more years prior management experience. Certification in area of expertise may be required; appropriate certifications could include Associate in Underwriting (AU), Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC), Program in General Insurance (INS) or Associate of Risk Management (ARM). For annuity business, FINRA Series 6 required.