This role will work with the Business Banking Leadership team to help develop Risk and Portfolio Management strategies in delivering all aspects of the product offering and executing on the business plan. The Manager will work with Market Managers to provide tailored solutions to this sector of the commercial marketplace. The Manager will be accountable for the formal approval process for the largest and most complex Business Banking Division credit transactions across the US. In addition, the Manager will lead risk management strategy and provide credit portfolio oversight of the Business Banking portfolio. 33%: Credit Structuring, Assessment and Granting 33 %: Risk Management Strategy & Oversight 33 %: Portfolio Management & Governance A: Credit Structuring, Assessment and Granting Exercise discretionary lending limits as delegated by the SVP Business Banking to approve quality transactions which are in excess of the approval limits of the Market Managers, or other deals deemed appropriate by the SVP Business Banking.
- Provide direction regarding the creation of comprehensive credit structures to meet the transactional needs of our clients, including credit quality, industry expertise and return on transactions.
- Collaborate with relationship managers to generate ideas, identify client solutions, pursue marketing efforts, and deliver timely solutions.
- Operate as key member of the deal team; assist with lending proposals / pitches to prospective clients, as needed, with efforts to maximize penetration and returns.
- Support the profitable utilization of Bank funds and development of specific financing proposals to meet customer and Bank requirements, while balancing the requirement for loan loss experience to be maintained within prescribed quality standards.
- Review credit transactions that require approval by the EVP Commercial Banking from a risk management perspective.
- Provide subject matter expertise in the identification, development and introduction of new financing alternatives and tailoring of existing financing products to satisfy clients, including formulation of new policies as required.
- Assess credit capabilities of account management to identify gaps in general credit skills and training needs in the Division and recommend formal and informal training, as required.
- Support development of personnel by providing content and input to the Institute for Learning on what is appropriate curriculum for the needs of the business. Lead Trusted Advisor training to new markets and hires as appropriate.
- Provide input and guidance on recommendations regarding level of credit limits for account management.
- Oversee documentation and ongoing monitoring of asset and client performance.
- Oversee preparation of concise, well reasoned credit correspondence
- Obtain credit concurrence as client advocate. B: Risk Management Strategy & Oversight
- Work with the Business Banking Leadership team, to establish the strategic direction of the division to optimize market share and achieve specific business goals and objectives in alignment with the overall PCCG and Harris strategy. This role provides particular guidance on risk tolerance and specific segments that represent sound and attractive risk / reward opportunities.
- Provide analysis and advice to support the Senior Vice-President, Business Banking Division with policy recommendations for portfolio monitoring and credit granting.
- Ensure Bank Corporate Policies, Corporate Standards, Lending Directives, and Operating Procedures are interpreted correctly, and that lending transactions meet Bank requirements to ensure the Commercial Lending process functions effectively.
- Participate in the revision of policies and lending directives, providing input to Risk Management regarding commercial lending parameters and operating procedures based on changes in the market place.
- Develop and implement differing strategies & policies in response to changing market conditions and practices.
- Oversee and assist in the development of the Risk and Control Self-Assessment (RCSA) for Business Banking
- Work with audit, loan review and examiners in response to action items or findings. C: Portfolio Management & Governance
- Maintain an overall, long term view of the Business Banking portfolio; balancing the need to profitably improve market share and maintain credit quality within acceptable standards.
- Manage commercial lending risk and maintain losses within pre-established standards by ensuring that credit submissions are in conformity with Bank Policies & Procedures.
- Manage risk and minimize losses through monitoring and control reports, ensuring compliance requirements, and verifications are completed in accordance with Bank Policies & Procedures and regulatory, legal and ethical requirements.
- Lead all preparations for quarterly High Risk Loan meetings, ensuring that the appropriate credits are high lighted and all required 959s are completed and approved on a timely basis
- Lead and manage High Risk Meetings to ensure that: 1) the portfolio is risk rated appropriately, 2) the correct action steps are being taken by account management in deteriorating credit situations and in a timely manner; and 3) emerging trends in the portfolio are identified.
- Monitor external environment for changing prospects and trends of key industries to ensure that emerging risks in the portfolio are identified and marketing efforts are directed to industries with acceptable risk profiles.
- Monitor compliance of key portfolio / risk management metrics, e.g., PDARs, payment and maturity past dues, risk rating effectiveness.
- Monitor portfolio oversight activities, such as quarterly touches and triggers, to ensure active portfolio management behaviors are imbedded in the organization.
- Manage, coach and provide guidance to Business Banking Portfolio Management Team Leads.
Knowledge and Skills
- An undergraduatedegree. Focal areas of finance, economics, or accounting preferred.
- CPA or MBA or equivalent experience in finance, accounting and business law.
- 7-10 years of relevant experience in negotiating and structuring financial transactions.
- Minimum of 10 years in financial services industry experience in a corporate lending environment developing business.
- Formal credit training and prior lending authority.
- Credit analysis experience/ understanding.
- Good knowledge of the organizational lending and portfolio management policies and objectives.
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills including the ability to write clear, concise and cogent credit correspondence.
- Exceptional analytical skills.
- Expertise in financial computer applications and database management tools including MS Excel. Strong proficiency in other Microsoft Office products and the Internet.
- Strong interpersonal skills used within a team environment and in client interaction with emphasis on excelling in relationship building.
- Ability to advocate persuasively.
- Ability to work under limited supervision.
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly
- Excellent capability to independently and proactively service multiple clients and effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Proven abilities in leadership and coaching skills; ability to motivate others