PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Building Science Leader develops the building materials market by improving the relevance of our insulation (glass and non-glass); Residential, Commercial, Industrial, Roofing and other accessory building products in the region. The leader is to develop expert understanding on the performance of construction material products and whole building systems. The work is multidisciplinary which includes fundamental transport of heat, air and moisture (HAM), structural, fire and acoustic design and construction practice. This role will equip our business, marketing and sales teams that work with builders to drive market development for durable, energy efficiency solutions through ongoing building science development, creation of training programs, and ongoing front-end customer communications. This Building Science Lead will also consult on the development of customer-inspired solutions that accelerate energy efficiency in the built environment and will directly establish great building science-based relationships with key customers. This position will be responsible for the West Coast and will be based out of a home office in the region.
Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a market-leading innovator that has placed on the Fortune 500®. Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our three business segments while striving to ensure our people and products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. A holistic sense of community exists across our entire organization as our talent grows globally. We are a company that fully recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride within each and every employee, we aspire to build market-leading businesses; global in scope - human in scale.
Reports to: Building Science Director
Span of Control: Individual Contributor
Provide Building Science Leadership to Drive Market Development
- Actively identify and serve unmet needs in the building materials market by having the appropriate understanding of building codes, building systems and products
- Ability to demonstrate construction practices in the field to a wide range of stakeholders (Contractors, Developers, Architects, Code Officials, R&D community and Building Envelope Consultants)
- Influence customers’ awareness of regulatory changes and opportunities associated with energy efficiency and green building science.
- Collect and process competitive performance insights on products and systems, and report to key stakeholders
- Create business opportunities using building science applications, and interfacing with local Area Sales Manager and Architectural & Engineering Center (AEC) teams
- Train the regional sales team to use building science tools and techniques for selling to architects and builders.
Provide Building Science Technical Support Internally and Externally
- Collaborates with R&D and Technical Services Leaders to ensure alignment with the overall technical agenda and to assist the innovation portfolio
- Partner with technical service managers to stay apprised of any relevant technical trends / issues in the marketplace.
- Has the ability to work in the field with contractors and demonstrate construction practice.
- Provide HAM analysis, durability analysis as needed in residential market.
- Implement data acquisition protocols as needed for internal and external projects
- Provide building science forensic analysis by conducting filed investigations, or extensive hygrothermal analysis
- Continuously upgrade building science knowledge pillars (Moisture, Thermal, Air, Fire, Wind, Acoustics, Comfort, IAQ, Structures, Risk Assessment, Durability, Sustainability, Energy) and adapt learning to daily activities
- Translate building science concepts to meaningful operations and provide the guidance needed for our contractor base
- Manage internal and external projects that impact Owens Corning.
- Prepare sketches by hand and details and using AutoCAD or REVIT
- Assist with new design consulting and peer reviews of plans and specifications for building enclosures
- Perform initial review of architectural drawings, shop drawings and submittals pertaining to the building enclosure.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architectural, Engineering or Science. Masters Degree with a specialization in buildings is preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience in the building materials industry or design studio (architectural or engineering)
- Ability to travel up to 60%
- Experience with change management
- Demonstrated reporting ability
- Capability to work effectively in team projects and complete activities on time.
- Able to provide insights and impact group level decisions with an outside-in perspective based on shareholder, competitor systems and market realities
- Demonstrated experience in improving homes / commercial buildings by the application of building science principles.
- Candidate must have proven ability to appropriately communicate technical details to a broad range of audiences (including company owners, field applicators, and homeowners).
- Building Materials Industry Knowledge in NA. Knows industry trends, direction and standards that guide new technology offerings. Uses technology and market intelligence to provide strategic recommendations on initiatives to achieve business objectives
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Proficient in Energy Analysis, Thermal Whole Building Analysis, Moisture Analysis, Durability, Assessment Analysis (BeOpt, WUFI, WUFIPlus, REMRate, EnergyPlus)
- Comfortable working within tight spaces such as attics and crawl spaces
- Ability to program in Excel.
- Work independently remotely in home office.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; bi-lingual English & Spanish is a plus
- Construction Management or knowledge of general construction methods is a plus