WSP is currently seeking an Intermediate Engineer to join our Building Science team, located at our Vancouver, BC office. Reporting to the Director, this position will include field investigations and managing technical projects involving new construction, building enclosure remediation, warranty reviews, on-site testing (windows, air-tightness, materials tests, etc.), and similar activities in support of a thriving building-enclosure consultancy. The candidate would also provide design solutions for remediation and new construction, subject to peer review as required by EGBC, in collaboration with CAD operators and engineering colleagues.
- Perform property condition assessments.
- Supervise CAD design in the creation of construction-related drawings; generate appropriate technical specifications, and write reports for new construction and rehabilitation projects.
- Prepare building investigation reports, and construction documents
- Participate in design meetings with owners, developers, architects, and other consultants.
- Conduct building investigations and field reviews to determine design and repair options
- Perform invasive investigations, which may include ladder work, tool operation, working at heights, working in confined spaces, and making field measurements
- Prepare site visit reports, documenting observations and field-testing results
- Make contributions to company knowledge management and practice systems
- Contribute to the firm's reputation in the market and maintain client base
- Manage remediation projects, including contract administration, progress meetings, and technical review.
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- University Degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering, Building Science, or an equivalent discipline
- A minimum of 5 years of related experience in the field of Building Science, specifically building envelope assessment and restoration, and building envelope design and field review for new construction.
- Registered or eligible for registration in EGBC as a licensed Professional Engineer
- Knowledge of building materials and construction processes for repairing building envelopes, cladding systems, roofs, and parking structures
- Ability to gather and diagnose information, interpret data and drawings
- A team player who thrives on working with other successful, energetic people
- Excellent communicator, with strong verbal and written skills
- Skill in use of building science analytical software such as WUFI, THERM or similar packages is an asset
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and AutoCAD are considered essential
- Experience in Consulting Engineering or a related field is an asset
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).