Building Controls Research Engineer
5 - 7 years experience • Software
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL)’s Buildings & Connected Systems Group is seeking a controls engineer to support PNNL’s applied research in the area of building performance optimization. This position may be based in Richland or Seattle. For Seattle, a short start-up period in Richland may be required. This position offers a unique opportunity to develop, demonstrate, and learn from cutting edge approaches to building Controls Optimization & Re-tuning (CORe)™, building control systems integration, and predictive fault detection and diagnostics. We are looking for candidates with practical experience with building HVAC control systems (design, programming, commissioning, or operations), analyzing control system data to optimize building performance, and developing diagnostic and prognostic methods to enable more timely and proactive operation and maintenance of building systems. The ideal candidate will be a skilled communicator and have a passion for learning, innovation, and building performance optimization, and bring a collaborative approach to problem-solving.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
The individual will be responsible for developing technical approaches for assigned work, performing basic science and engineering tasks and activities with minimal oversight, contributing to portions of technical reports, journal papers, or conference presentations, interacting with internal and external clients in federal agencies, and working with interdisciplinary teams (e.g. experts in control systems, mechanical engineering, cyber security, network communications) to identify opportunities for building performance optimization while mitigating system exposures and risk.
Specific duties may include:
• Re-tuning federal buildings and refining re-tuning methods, and training energy managers in those methods.
• Supporting efforts to integrate diverse operating systems and control technologies into seamless platforms, including developing enterprise solutions.
• Develop, testing and demonstrating and documenting methods for automated predictive fault detection and diagnostics.
• The position is accountable to the technical group manager and project managers for project development and execution.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
• Bachelor's degree with 5 years’ experience, Master's degree with 3 years’ experience, or a PhD with 1 year of experience.
• Principal investigator or co-PI on projects or tasks, while integrating capabilities of work team members.
• Selects and develops technical approaches on assignments with occasional oversight on complex problems.
• Must be a U.S. citizen, have a valid driver’s license and be able to travel domestically.
• Must be able to pass a background check to obtain a DoD Common Access Card (CAC) and must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance to work with U.S. military installations.
• Willingness to travel domestically up to 25% of time.
• Experience in one or more of the following applications: control methods for building HVAC equipment and/or building systems, automated fault detection and diagnosis for building systems, building energy management, decision support for building system operation and maintenance, cybersecurity of industrial control systems.
• Knowledgeable of building heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning equipment and systems.
• Experience doing building energy evaluations (e.g. ASHRAE level 2).
• Certifications in one or more control systems (e.g. JCI, Alerton, Niagara, Siemens).
• Demonstrated understanding of current challenges in building controls and related areas.
• Demonstrated experience in developing and applying technical approaches in the area of building control technologies and/or building energy management.
• Demonstrated innovation in emerging building performance challenges.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively on teams and with personnel in diverse job functions and levels of responsibility.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307087