At the key customer level and large strategic accounts this position will provide education and technical quidance about roofing systems and product specifications. The goals include providing customer specific guidance and education and acting as a point person, bridging the gaps between product management, sales, and the more generalist tech support hot-line. The specialist would have authority to make decisions and provide customer specific guidance. The position would be largely pre-sales in nature, demonstrating GAF technology and leadership to customers and helping to define future requirements.
This position can be located anywhere within the general South West or West Coast Regions
- Participate and take leadership roles in industry associations including but not limited to ASTM, PIMA, SPRI, ARMA, NRCA and AABA.
- Identify and track key technical trends within regions. Identify gaps and opportunities for GAF and communicate these to the relevant GAF teams.
- Identify key issues within the industry; use intel to fuel research; be a leader in the technical discussion.
- Provide educational sessions, including but not limited to presentations at regional and national RCI and AIA meetings and conventions, as well as regional Building Science Seminars hosted by GAF.
- Continue the development of the Building Science brand through external educational communications, including but not limited to white papers, articles, blogs, vlogs, and webinars.
- Lead building science research initiatives, partnering with independent third parties. Upon publication, leverage this research into GAF technical leadership, education and communication initiatives.
- Assist with development of GAF technical documents, such as cold storage guidelines and air barriers vs vapor barrier guidelines.
Sales team support
- Develop working relationships with key consultants as identified by Regional Sales Directors and Area Vice Presidents.
- Provide technical assistance on high profile projects as identified by Low Slope Sales and National Accounts.
- Assist with technical analysis and decision making for roofing systems, details, and project
- Assist with written specifications and details as requested.
- Attend job site / job project meetings as requested and time/schedule permits.
- Engagement in Cooperative Procurement/Closed Specification reform efforts, offering GAF specifications and products, and education about the benefits of fair and open competitive bidding.
- Engage public property owners regarding any closed specifications.
- Represent GAF’s position to policy makers, property owners, etc.
- Assist with Strategic Accounts in targeting and educating potential customers about GAF’s technical advantages. Demonstrate GAF technical leadership and innovation via presentations and discussions.
- Act as point person / key technical resource for large demonstration projects and key accounts / strategic customers, coordinating with the various parts of the GAF organization including Field Services, technical services, manufacturing facilities, and product managers.
- Provides technical advice to the sales force to resolve product requests regarding engineering or technical issues.
LEVEL BASED COMPETENCIES:
- Extensive knowledge of roofing systems and their interaction with the building envelope.
- Extensive knowledge of GAF roofing systems, products, warranties, contractor programs, etc.
- Mastery of written specifications and details.
- Excellent presentation skills, able to tailor message to the audience, and speak comfortably and knowledgably about a wide range of roofing topics.
- Proven ability to work with people at all levels within the industry including leading consultants, building owners, and architects.
- Ability to present complex technical knowledge in a compelling way to a non-technical audience.
- Proven ability to problem solve – must be able to customize approaches for specific customers.
- Ability to operate in a time critical environment, taking responsibility for customer issues and coordinating GAF responses from across the organization.
- Ability to interpret customer requirements and provide customized GAF responses.
- Proven ability to track technology developments within the building industry.
- Knowledge of broader trends in the industry such as air barrier use.
- Minimum of a Bachelors of Science degree in a technical field of study.
- Minimum of 5 years industry experience.
- Experience in developing and providing educational sessions for roofing related topics.