Oversees the timely construction of each home from foundation to warranty service request signoff. Ensures high quality results, within budget, while striving to provide The Best Homeowner Experience. The Builder is responsible for producing zero defect homes through effective management of trades, inspectors, suppliers and staff. Coordinates the various complex aspects of construction process while maintaining the high standards and integrity of Mattamy. Acts as the primary representative of company on construction matters to homeowners and maintains an aesthetically appealing, safe worksite and professional and efficient work environment.Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Ensures complete adherence to Mattamy Construction Processes, in accordance with Mattamy Policy and Procedures.
- Accountable for managing the construction of assigned homes from foundation to 30-day warranty service request signoff. Assumes complete responsibility for each home meeting ALL standards, including QA ready.
- Attends regular staff meetings, and is prepared to discuss safety, quality, production timelines, costs and other issues as determined by Vice President of Construction.
- Monitors all daily trade functions: timeliness, quality of workmanship and completion of work. Walks all homes on a daily basis to ensure imperfections are noted, Building Code is adhered to, and Homebuyers’ Options and Extras are complied with. Adheres to procedures as required by the trade Scopes of Work and Mattamy Quality Standards. Takes corrective action as necessary.
- Conducts a detailed frame check on each unit prior to drywall, in accordance with Mattamy Policy and Procedures, and follows up to ensure the timely completion of any items noted.
- Schedules and conducts onsite homeowner meetings.
- Responsible for supervising on-site construction staff, including the scheduling of subcontractors inspectors and suppliers on the job, resolving day-to-day problems on the job site, inspecting all work during construction to ensure compliance with plans and specifications, and resolving construction problems. Approves Subcontractor invoice for quality and quantity before issuing Completion Slip.
- Assists in ordering all materials required to construct houses.
- Communicates and coordinates activities with other staff (Site and Head Office) to ensure smooth production operation.
- Schedules and attends all necessary municipal inspections. Assists Inspectors with the completion of the review, and rectifies issues as required.
- Responsible for managing to the Production Schedule. Adds comments re: site changes and improvements as necessary, and communicates to VP of Construction.
- Ensures all work is being done in a safe manner and enforce safety standards and laws within position’s scope of authority. Ensures homes are as clean and aesthetically appealing as possible while under construction.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
Education and Experience
Post-secondary education / Community College in related field (e.g. Construction EngineeringTechnology) or suitable combination of education and relevant industry experience is preferred.
- Minimum 5 years residential construction and people management experience
- OSHA Certified
- Knowledge of MS Office applications an asset
Skills and Attributes
- Excellent customer service skills
- Intensely focused on delivering a quality product --- takes pride in building a zero defect home
- Good knowledge and clear understanding of contracts, plans, specifications, construction methods, materials and regulations. Includes knowledge of all trades and scopes of work
- Keen knowledge of construction processes including thorough experience in scheduling and managing scheduling issues
- Extensive knowledge of Building Code and Health & Safety Regulations
- Experienced in managing budgets and controlling costs
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to successfully manage multiple tasks, varying priorities and ultimately meet deadlines and budgets
- Well-developed ability to problem solve with ability to resolve issues as they arise
- Self-started who leads by example and readily assumes responsibility for results
- Detailed oriented
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required, both oral and written
- People management skills including ability to train and mentor staff, delegate as required, complete performance reviews
- Skills in relationship building with established broad network of contacts including trade partners, inspectors and suppliers