Broker - Dealer Regulatory Attorney
5 - 7 years experience •
FOLIOfn, Inc. provides investment technology and other services to the financial services industry and through its wholly-owned broker-dealer subsidiary, Folio Investments, Inc. The firm has more than 19 patents covering an array of financial services and products and has been, and continues to be, a pioneer in a number of areas in the investing and wealth management fields. The firm also has two wholly-owned registered investment advisors through which it offers a variety of advisory services and technology to support the offerings of unaffiliated investment advisors. Folio’s main office is in McLean, VA.
The Broker-Dealer Regulatory Attorney (“BD Attorney”) will support the business operations and enhance the compliance program for the firm’s self-clearing broker-dealer which provides execution, clearing and custodial services to individual investors and otherinvestment professionals online. He or she also may be called upon to engage in legal or compliance matters that arise with respect to services provided to investment adviser clients. The BD Attorney will play a critical and highly involved role as a member of the firm’s legal and compliance team and will strengthen the firm’s objective of managing compliance risk effectively and within the company’s overall risk tolerance. This person also will interact frequently with Federal and state regulators, auditors, examiners and other external parties.
- Identifying and developing methods to mitigate compliance risks to the firm.
- Reviewing new business initiatives and providing input relating to compliance with relevant laws, rules and regulations.
- Proactively addressing ongoing legal matters such as disclosures updates, agreement updates, corporate governance documents, and Legal Department policies and procedures, etc.
- Evaluating regulatory developments that impact the firm and developing cost effective compliance approaches.
- Communicating with various regulatory bodies directly and through industry associations regarding changes in laws and policies that may have an impact on the business.
- Developing and producing responses to regulatory inquiries on behalf of the firm.
- Providing education and direction to other departments on the application of rules and regulations.
- Reviewing and negotiating agreements that relate to brokerage services as well as vendor and technology licenses.
- Partnering with the Technology and Product Development/Project Management groups to design, review and test new automated processes and procedures to enhance the firm’s compliance efforts as well as develop new technology-related business tools.
- Ability to operate effectively in an environment with a highly specialized vision and mission.
- Excellent people leadership skills and ability to leverage the capabilities of peers, business partners, and associates along with the confidence to effectively influence stakeholders.
- Strong business judgment, and effective verbal communications, writing and analytical skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team as well as independently.
- D. from a competitive law school and licensed to practice law in at least one state.
- Minimum 4years of securities lawexperience with an emphasis on providing interpretive advice under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and FINRA Rules, preferably to firms with an online presence.
- Interest in technology.
Job ID 2018-1068