At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our 'About Us' video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.Primary Responsibilities
This position is viewed as a growth opportunity for an early career bridge engineer looking to establish themselves as a lead designer, working towards project management. Initial primary responsibilities will be to work as a bridge design lead, moving rail-bridge projects to completion, assisting with client management, all while working in a team-driven environment. You will have the opportunity to work with a variety of clients in multiple regions including DOTs, Railroads, and Transit Authorities.
Part of your duties as a bridge engineer may include performing bridge engineering/design calculations, developing structural details, using specialized software (MicroStation, MathCAD, LARSA or various concrete and steel design or analysis programs), inspecting bridges and performing load rating calculations as well as assisting with geometric layout, writing specifications and developing cost estimates. Assignments may also include structural services related to inspections or construction.
Project management responsibilities may include managing project scope, budget and schedule as well as development of design criteria, project guides, and project controls. It will also include directing and mentoring junior staff, as well as have the opportunity for periodic client visits. As such, strong communication skills are paramount.
Keywords: Bridge, Rail, Track, Railroad, Steel, Concrete, Structural, Transportation, Transit
*LI-MJ1 Qualifications Required Qualifications
- BS in Civil Engineering required
- PE required
- 4 years' experience
- Strong interest in bridge design and analysis
- Demonstrated hands-on experience using Microsoft Office Suite, MathCad, MicroStation or other CAD software
- Experience using structural analysis programs and bridge design software (Bentley LEAP Bridge Enterprise, CSI Bridge, LARSA)
- Excellent communication skills and working in a team environment
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must.
- Rail or Transit experience is preferred
- MS in Civil Engineering preferred
- Experience as a Project Manager
- Experience working with AREMA's Manual for Railway Engineering and other railroad design specifications
- Preference given to local candidates
At HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for; it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.