The Brand Manager is accountable for the development and implementation of marketing strategies and brand plans, including product quality, close-in and breakthrough innovation, and brand activation. Responsibilities include “Product” (quality, innovation, packaging), “Place” (channel strategies and distribution), “Price” (pricing strategy and implementation), and “Promotion” (advertising, consumer promotion, media strategy and implementation planning, PR). Responsible for category strategy, pricing strategy and analysis, and ongoing business analysis to drive the performance of the brand. Works closely with Insight, Category Management, Sales, Business Development, Operations, Legal, and external partners (advertising agencies, etc.) to develop and implement marketing and innovation plans. The Brand Manager will also manage an Associate Brand Manager.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Develops and executes marketing plans, encompassing a wide range of promotional and public relations tactics on both national and account specific levels.
- Analyzes market trends and recommend changes to marketing and product strategies based on analysis and feedback
- Utilizes syndicated and other data sources to develop expertise on the category, consumer, customers and competitive set.
- Leads a wide variety of functional areas to develop and manage marketing objectives, strategies and tactics
- Responsible for brand budget
- Ensures Legal approval of all documents, contracts and materials that touch external stakeholders
- Develops market and competitive analysis leveraging syndicated and propriety data
- Responsible for creating customized sales presentations, executing customer marketing plans, and tracking product performance at retail
Advertising and Promotion Management
- Responsible for creating customized sales presentations, executing customer marketing plans, and tracking product performance at retail.
- Manages agency relationships and leads the preparation for internal and external brand presentations
- Develops an integrated brand image and message throughout all advertising, packaging and promotional efforts
- Utilizes consumer insights to help drive brand strategy, communication, and programming
- Ensures the most motivating messaging reaches target consumers
- Collaborates with sales to develop strategic partnership activities with key retail partners
- Participates in the product development process, identifying consumer insight, creating product proposition, assessing market potential
- Partners with other functional areas to quickly bring viable new products to market
- Identifies opportunities for growth and cost improvement
- Commercializes line extensions that can be launched within 12months
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A) from a regionally accredited college or university in Marketing or closely related field and 5+ years of related experience and/or training; required.
- MBA in Marketing, or related field, and 2 or more years of consumer marketing experience with a CPG company in food, preferred.
- Experience managing a budget for a brand and working in a cross-function environment.
- Experience working with syndicated data.
- Experience commercializing new products and line extensions.
- Experience in consumer goods industry in the areas of Marketing, Advertising, Sales Promotion, and Salespreferred.
- Understanding of brand management disciplines, key marketing strategies, media and selling dynamics.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to prioritize projects and produce high quality and quantity outputs that adds value to the company, required.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, required.
- Up to 15% travel may be required for this position.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Power point and Excel, required.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but may act as a lead by providing training and guidance to Associate Brand Managers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to sit; stand; walk; reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance, vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.