Univar is more than a distribution company – we’re a leading, global partner dedicated to improving quality of life for our customers through the products, expertise, and relationships that serve the world’s most essential industries. Founded in 1924, with global headquarters in Downers Grove, IL, Univar generated $8+ billion in sales in 2016 – securing the #1 market position in North America and the #2 market position in Europe.
Creating great chemistry is not just about the innovative products and services we safely deliver to customers around the world. It also takes people – people like you – and today, our worldwide team of more than 8,000 employees is helping build a company where the best people want to work. If you’re looking for an experience where your actions will make a positive difference every day, you’ve come to the right place.
Under the general direction of the District Operations Manager, the Branch Operations Manager (BOM) is responsible for the efficient day-to-day operations of the branch, including directing a team of Supervisors and managing the branch’s annual budget and operating plan.
Environmental, Health & Safety --
• Manages the daily safe, efficient, legal and economical operations of assigned branch(s) including transportation, warehouse and tank farm.
• Facilitates compliance to corporate health, safety, and environmental affairs policies, including completion of all required training, documentation and record keeping.
• Supports sales efforts consistent with corporate and regulatory compliance, health, safety and environmental affairs standards.
• Leads the emergency response team in the branch.
• Implements and manages branch health and safety program and conducts safety audits in conjunction with Branch Operations Supervisor(s) or Regulatory Manager.
• Conducts timely and detailed incident investigations and communicates root causes and recommends corrective and preventives measures to the District Operations Manager.
• Regularly briefs upper management on branch performance, including cost and productivity opportunities and issues, and branch or industry related trends.
Staff Supervision --
• Maintains a supervisory presence throughout the branch; ensures daily pre-shift meetings are held, and regularly communicates expectations to employees.
• Manages day-to-day work activities to ensure operational goals and objectives are met.
• Ensures all employees have the required tools and training on matters related to safety, operation standards and department goals.
• Creates a positive work environment and fosters employee ownership of branch operations and performance.
• Oversees the completion of drug testing and medical surveillance as required.
• Directly manages team of Supervisors.
• Leads interviewing, hiring, training and evaluating Supervisors, while ensuring the same is conduct for branch employees.
• Ensures Supervisors are conducting routine employee meetings and adhering to all Univar safety standards.
• May participate in the negotiation of labor contracts (if applicable).
Branch Administration --
• Develops email communications and correspondence with internal and external customers.
• Completes inspections and paperwork associated with hazardous waste generation and waste pickup transport.
• Leads inspections from outside agencies (DOT,EPA,FDA,DHS).
• Regularly participates in District Business Meetings.
• Prepares and presents comprehensive Branch Reviews to Leadership.
Sales Support/Customer Service --
• Manages budget and operating plan to achieve branch goals.
• Responsible for meeting customer requirements and fulfilling orders in a cost effective manner using appropriate risk management and Standard Operating Procedures.
Quality Assurance --
• Ensures company quality processes are adhered to at the local branch level.
• Partners with appropriate departments to resolves product quality issues in an efficient and timely manner.
Inventory Management --
• Directs inventory management process; researches and resolves discrepancies with appropriate personnel as needed.
Facility Maintenance --
• Ensures proper maintenance, upkeep and housekeeping of facility, buildings, equipment and fleet.
• Resolves facility maintenance issues with appropriate personnel and reports safety concerns.
• Maintains close security and control over physical operations, branch buildings, tank farms, grounds and equipment.
Process Improvement --
• Implements initiatives to improve operations.
• Proactively identifies and leads process improvement initiatives.
Performs other related duties as required or requested.
• Direct supervision for Branch Operations Supervisors and any assigned administrative personnel.
• Indirect supervision of all branch employees.
• Fulfill supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies, procedures and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• High School Diploma/GED required
• Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent experience
• 5-7 years experience in operations
• Knowledge of chemical distribution facility operation preferred
• Working knowledge of governmental requirements related to the chemical industry; i.e. OSHA, EPA, RCRA, DOT, etc. preferred or demonstrated ability to attain such knowledge
• Supervisory Leadership; proven ability to communicate with, support, and motivate employees to achieve operational objectives
• Strong verbal /written communication skills
• Able to multi-task and prioritize effectively in a team environment
• Analytical; ability to track, record and report department production
• Experience with performance metrics and process improvement
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications; Excel and Word
• High level of decision-making ability; balancing customers’ needs and company objectives
• Strong organization skills with the ability to handle diverse and significant workload
• Knowledgeable in all aspects of chemical distribution and UNIVAR Standard Operating Procedures
• Ability to operate all warehouse equipment
• Ability to respond to emergency response situations
• Basic understanding of UVX2000
• Some branches may require HazMat certification or Hazwoper Certification