The Branch Manager is responsible for overall profitability by directing sales and business development, meeting operational objectives and ensuring the branch achieves its annual goals. Management and leadership duties include: employee development and engagement, ongoing coaching, and performance management. Branch Managers are responsible for building the bank’s presence in the community and for prospecting and enhancing business relationships.
Branch Managers serve as a proactive team members in the M&T Branch system. Branch Managers are the foundation of building customer loyalty through both modeling and coaching the “M&T Way,” and are “M&T Way” certified.
The “M&T Way” is defined as:
* Create a memorable customer experience that will make customers want to come back and do business with YOU!
* Do not leave things to chance.
* Be the BEST!
As certified in “Precision Leadership,” Branch Managers actively model and coach the following behaviors (as expected by all Branch team members): acknowledging each customer as they enter the branch, identifying and referring sales opportunities by uncovering financial needs and presenting all options to customers, and following up as needed.
Branch Manager relationship banking responsibilities also include: achieving personal sales goals, fluently profiling customers to identify financial needs (across all product and service lines), managing a retail and/or commercial portfolio, resolving complex service issues, adhering to the requirements of federal registration under the SAFE Act, as both a Licensed Insurance Financial Representative and an M&T Business Banking Specialist (independently able to process all loan paperwork up to $100,000).
In addition, Branch Managers also ensure the operational requirements set for risk are maintained.
Essential Position Responsibilities:
- Build and develop branch sales staff by recruiting, hiring, mentoring and, using the performance management system, coaching staff to exceed their annual performance objectives.
- Provide ongoing guidance and training to branch personnel on platform sales/profiling skills, operating problems, handling of exceptions and adjustments.
- Direct staffing and administrative functions including: performance appraisals, annual performance objectives (APO’s), promotions, salary recommendations, handling complex employee issues (including terminations).
- Consistently re-enforce and model partnership with Teller and Platform staff, to ensure a positive, productive employee and customer experience.
- Lead and support the branch in achieving its customer retention, acquisition and growth goals. Support will include: achieving personal sales goals (including Insurance revenue and Business Banking), proactively reaching out to customers in assigned retail and/or commercial portfolio, as well as participating and leading branch salespromotions, tracking and celebrating sales success.
- Achieve personal sales goals by proactively identifying opportunities utilizing the fundamentals of the “M&T Way” sales process. Identify financial needs and present all appropriate options, working cooperatively with appropriate business partners.
- Develop existing business client relationships through regular “pre-set” calling activities, and prospect new business relationships by actively networking and engaging in community involvement.
- Independently process all Business Bankingloan requests up to $100,000.
- Proactively bundle products and services as appropriate.
- Build new customer relationships by proactively “on-boarding” through frequent interactions during the first 90 days of the relationship.
- Provide leadership around the customer experience.
- Ensure a consistent, high level of service by coaching and modeling the “M&T Way” - which includes: memorable customer service, proactively greeting customers by saying “Welcome to M&T Bank! – What brings you in today?,” smiling, using their name and ending each interaction (both in person or phone) by saying “Thank you for banking with M&T, is there anything else I can do for you today (customer name)?”
- Maintain a professional manner to build customer confidence and trust.
- Take ownership of complex account servicing and error resolution issues, including those escalated by other Bankers.
- Provide coaching and guidance to Assistant Branch Manager or second level Manager around complex issues that are escalated to improve and reduce future problem resolution/escalations.
- Follow-up with issues as required, and convert servicing situations in sales/referral opportunities.
- Project a positive image of M&T Bank, consistent with the M&T Way, within the community through active involvement in local organizations.
- Follow consumer and business banking guidelines for accuracy and proper new account handling, ongoing maintenance/management, and exception processing and pricing.
- Ensure compliance with operational, security and control policies/procedures, preventing fraud and protecting customer assets.
- Develop and maintain a positive, productive partnership with the Regional Operations Coordinator, ensuring proper awareness of how the Branch is performing against the Bank’s operating and compliance standards.
- Positively demonstrate leadership and teamwork by proactively assisting other branch colleagues when needed as well as actively participating and contributing during Branch Team meetings.
- Coach branch team on quality referral generation (based on Insurance and/or Business Banking Specialist designation).
- Lead the impact planning process with the branch team, and ensure effective delivery and follow up. Consult with HR Business Partner as needed to for impact planning guidance or ideas.
- In order to assist the branch team or region, additional projects/duties may be assigned as needed..
Nature and Scope:
Branch Manager leadership responsibilities typically are one of the following: Multi-site Branch, Tier 1, 2, or 3 Branch, or 2nd level Manager at a tier 4 or 5 Branch.
This position reports to a Retail Regional Manager, Commercial Branch Manager, or Senior Branch Manager and leads the branch team to achieve annual sales and profitability goals, and has a sound working knowledge of the overall operations of the branch.
Branch Managers have the responsibility to establish and maintain federal registration requirements outlined in the SAFE Act.
Branch Managers must stay current on operational, product, and system changes/enhancements, as well as demonstrate good risk management decisions. In addition, Insurance licensing minimum expectations must be maintained as outlined in MTS Licensed Banker Academy document. Business Banking Specialist minimum expectations will be set by both the Branch and Retail Regional Manager.
Branch Managers will typically spend some of their time servicing existing customers, and the majority of the time growing the business through proactive sales and outside calling activities.
Branch Managers are responsible for building productive partnerships with appropriate areas of the bank to ensure customer needs, service issues, and employee issues are resolved timely and accurately. Branch Managers are responsible for taking “full ownership” of customer issues until they are completely resolved.
Branch Managers generally have direct reporting responsibility for branch staff.
Bachelor’s degree or, in lieu of degree, four (4) years’ relevant experience.
Minimum three years sales experience
Minimum two years’ managerial experience or proven leadership abilities.
At Market Manager discretion/branch need, Life/Accident and Health Insurance licensing required within 12 months of entry into position. Note: branch provides training for licensing within 6 months.
M&T Business Banking Specialist within 18months of hire.