Provides subject matter expertise and modeling support in epidemiology, virology, and/or microbiology to the DTRA Technical Reachback biology team.
- Providing subject matter expertise (SME) to conduct, implement and sustain functionality in epidemiology at DTRA Reachback.
- In accordance with DoD directives, provide a decision-response and support capability for deliberate, crisis, and immediate planning and operations, and post CBRNE event analyses, to the following: Combatant Commands (COCOMs); Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD); Joint Staff (JS); Intelligence Community (IC); command elements; first responders, and federal, state, and local government organizations.
- Will use applied knowledge to develop, integrate, test, verify, validate and apply CBRNE software/scenarios based on results of experiments and predicted phenomena based on theoretical and computational methods.
- Work closely with other scientist and engineers to define the modeling objectives, obtain the required model inputs and outputs, verify and validate results.
- Present modeling results and decision support aid to both internal and external customers in the form of written reports and oral presentations.
- Review technical work of others.
- The candidate will also be responsible for 1) Reviewing current research in various and potentially diverse subject areas for familiarity, and relevance; 2) Becoming familiar with new experiments and resulting data that are relevant to the project and evaluating the overall quality of the presented results; 3) Providing general knowledge and biomedical defense subject matter expertise in hazard prediction modeling and simulation technical areas involving CBRNE hazards/phenomena resulting from chemical, biological, nuclear, and radiological dispersion/incident or attack to government agencies and First Responders; 4) Attending technical and programmatic meetings in which you coordinate responses from scientific community members and review the assembled materials for technical accuracy, consistency, and completeness.
- Shift work is required.
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- PhD degree in Epidemiology, Virology, or Microbiology with 1-3 years of experience.
- Strong communication skills, both orally and verbally, technical presentation, teamwork mentality, graphic visualization and Microsoft Office proficiency skills are required.
- Must be able to travel up to 10% within the US and possible International travel.
- Must be a US citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret SCI DoD clearance.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED
- Experience in Combating WMD threats (primarily through modeling and simulation and/or test experience) in addition to a working knowledge of using ArcGIS tools in an operational environment are a plus.
- Experience with public health threats such as Ebola, pandemic influenza, emerging infectious agents and biological warfare agents.
- Preferred candidate would possess experience working with organizations within the Department of Defense (especially relating to issues concerning WMD); as well as other government agencies such as HHS, CDC, etc.
- Current DoD Top Secret/SCI clearance.