Fluidigm is seeking a Bioinformatics or Data Scientist to join the Bioinformatics Group in R&D. This individual will be responsible for managing, generating, and analyzing NGS data in support of algorithm and pipeline development. They will work closely with other bioinformatic team members and research scientists.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage and generate large datasets in support of algorithm and pipeline development
- Execute data analyses of NGS data from bioinformatic pipelines in particular for quality and assay performance assessment
- Build tools and automated reports for reporting quality and assay performance
- Execute data analyses of sequencing and variant-calling data
- Provide informative technical plots and graphs to help dictate assay development and experimental performance
- Closely collaborate with Bioinformatic and R&D scientists
Education and Experience:
- PhD in statistics, bioinformatics, computational biology, or similar (MS with strong industy experience will be considered)
- 1+ years of relevant industry experience
- Must be able to manipulate and generate large datasets for algorithm optimization
- Strong proficiency in scripting languages such as Perl, BASH, etc.
- Experience with common bioinformatic tools use such as BWA, Bowtie, GATK, etc.
- Ability to manipulate large datasets including sequencing data (i.e. fastq, BAM) and variant calling files (i.e. VCFs)
- Ability to execute data analyses with a high degree of accuracy and precision using Python or R
- Strong communication and presentation skills of difficult data analysis techniques to other team members
- Strong independent and organized worker that can thrive in a fast-paced work environment, contribute to multiple projects simultaneously
- Nice to have: statistical background with experience with DOE and drafting/executing SAPs
- Nice to have: Experience with refactoring and/or optimizing analysis code for speed and efficiency