Illumina develops tools for the discovery of genetic variation and the analysis of its biological significance. We are looking for an experienced bioinformatics manager to lead a team focused on supporting new product development and content selection for Illumina's array development group. As leader of the array bioinformatics team, you will have the opportunity to impact a wide array of applications spanning agricultural, direct to consumer genomics and pre-emptive health by building and driving a bioinformatics strategy across the development organization. The bioinformatics team supports ideation and development of new genotyping, copy number and methylation array products and related screening applications. Development support involves content selection, data analysis, reporting, visualization, and application of statistical learning techniques to assist in investigations of product performance and optimization. The ideal candidate will be able to partner closely with scientists in array product development and sequencing informatics in a cross-functional development team, as well as product management, sales support personnel and customers to define content and product performance specifications.
- Understanding of the use of genomic screening technologies in healthcare and research spaces, including understanding of PRS, PGx, and impacts of population diversity
- Understanding and usage of biostatistics and bioinformatics algorithms
- Understanding of key concepts in population genomics such as tag SNP selection, linkage disequilibrium, and imputation
- Understand clinical research variant annotation databases and applications for healthy population screening
- Genotyping array and/or next-generation sequencing technology, tool usage, and data analysis
- Experience in development and application of machine learning methods
- Experience with development of data processing pipelines
- Experience with software development best practices, including source control versioning systems
- Familiarity with grid and/or cloud computing familiarity
- Track record of educating and training commercial, customer support teams and customers on informatic values of products and acting as a partner for sales support
- Critical problem solving and data analysis
- Excellent written, communication, and presentation skills, with excellent time and program management skills
- Proven ability to communicate requirements and negotiate priorities with both marketing and software development
- Customer-focused, team-oriented, and motivated
- Scripting experience with Python, R or Perl.
- Programming experience with in C, C++, C#, or Java
- Experience with epigenetic profiling preferred
- Experience with relational database, NoSQL, and ORM frameworks preferred
- Mentor and develop an exceptional team of bioinformatics scientists
- Define the technical vision and roadmap for the array bioinformatics team working closely with marketing, product management and array / sequencing software development departments to support the product roadmap.
- Foster a network of key opinion leaders and customer relationships to guide new product development.
- Manage and execute the day-to-day activities of the bioinformatics team against project plans and commitments.
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management.
- Creation of data analysis pipelines incorporating fundamental software engineering principles to deliver robust results
- Enable and mentor team to
- Develop novel approaches to genomic data analysis
- Develop of new machine learning algorithms to optimize product performance
- Provide recommendations based on technical results and propose risk mitigation strategies to Array platform management, Sequencing informatics management, project and functional team as situation requires.
- Participate in and lead cross-functional efforts to drive decisions and solutions as well as deliver novel array products for market release.
- Present data analysis results in large group settings, and present clear and concise written and oral communications to colleagues, array management and Sequencing informatic management.
- Work with marketing managers to devise product requirements that align with resources and budget.
- Work with marketing teams to perform technical feasibility and assessment for new business opportunities.
- Educate sales and support start on informatic value of new Array products
- Participate as a technical expert in customer feedback, requirements gathering and education sessions on the suite of Illumina's Array product
Education and Work Experience
- PhD in computer science, bioinformatics, or equivalent
- Minimum of 3 years of functional management experience
- Minimum of 5-7 years of bioinformatics experience in Life Sciences, Genomics or Pharmaceutical industries.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.