FMC Corporation is a leading speciality company focused on agricultural and lithium technologies. We are proud that our products help grow that world's food, improve health and contribute to a more sustainable energy supply.
FMC is a globally diverse organization that offers its employees exciting opportunities to work on challenging projects that are important to the achievement of our strategic objectives. Your education and professional experience are valued and put to use from day one. Your success at completing key initiatives can result in a varied, progressive and fulfilling career with FMC.
With a corporate culture of innovation, integrity, responsibility and customer intimacy, we foster “The Right Chemistry” in everything we do. We are looking for people to join us in creating, developing, and improving our products, our processes, and our markets. In short, If you are ready to make a difference every day, FMC is ready to talk to you.
FMC Ag Solutions, Research & Development is seeking a highly motivated scientist to help discover new products for the control of important agricultural pest species (weeds, fungi, insects) at our Newark, Delaware research facility. The candidate will be a member of the Chemical Genomics Group in Discovery Biology working with a multidisciplinary team of researchers supporting a gene to chemistry process comprised of isolating and validating biochemical targets for discovery of novel small molecule synthetic starting points.
Applicants should have post-doctoral and industrialexperienceinvestigating and determining the mechanisms of enzyme or receptor mediated reactions, such that any proposed partial reaction or transition state intermediate could form the basis of focused synthesis programs. The candidate should be familiar with assay development for high-throughput screening to identify novel active entities. They should also be familiar with using crystallographic information to assist design concepts. Demonstrated skills in the following areas are therefore required:
- Development of robust enzyme/receptor assays suitable for high-throughput screening.
- Ability to deconvolute biochemical mechanisms.
- Design inhibitors based on mechanistic and structural information.
The successful applicant will be a proven problem solver, possess good analytical skills, and be capable of working effectively in teams composed of molecular biologists, synthetic and analytical chemists, computer modelers, and biologists.
Ph.D. degree in biochemistry, molecular biology
- Demonstrated experience (3 + years) in assay development.
- Experience dissecting enzyme/receptor mechanisms.
- Experience with standard methods of cloning, expression, and purification of proteins.
- Experience with inhibitor design.
- Good publication record.
- Excellent project management skills and flexibility in research direction.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with interdisciplinary teams.
- Mentoring and training associates.
- The following skills are desirable, but not essential:
- Experience of synthesizing designed inhibitors
- Isolation of membrane associated proteins
- Some familiarity with either fungal, insect, or plant biochemistry