Bio - Statistical Research Scientist
Effective 11/1/16: Employees who are required to drive his or her personal vehicle or a rental vehicle on a routine basis* will be automatically enrolled into the BCBST Driver Safety Program. The employee will also be required to adhere to the guidelines set forth through the program. This includes, maintaining a valid driver’s license, auto insurance compliance with minimum liability requirements; as defined in the “Use of Non BCBST-Owned Vehicle” Policy; and maintaining an acceptable motor vehicle record (MVR).
*The definition for "routine basis" is defined as daily, weekly or at regularly schedule times.
The mission of the Medical Informatics Division (MI) is to support all BCBST business units by conducting analytics/research, and developing tools and processes that improve the outcomes, quality, access to, cost andutilization and management of health care to BCBST members. MI achieves this mission through health services andother types of analytics/research designed to (1) improve clinical practice, (2) improve BCBST’s ability to provide access to and deliver high quality, high-value health care, and (3) provide policy makers with the ability to assess the impact of system changes on outcomes, quality, access, cost, and use of health care resources. The candidatechosen for this position will serve to support the mission of the MI division.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will work closely with junior and senior analysts/researchers and business unit staff to support the MI mission through assisting in the following major activities:
- Provider Profiling
- Network Evaluation
- Transparency and Pay for Performance Programs
- Clinical Program Evaluation
- Research Studies
- Population Assessment
- Statistical Analysis
- Outcomes Assessment
- Report and Tool Development
- Utilization and Cost Studies
- Provide junior and senior analysts/researchers with assistance in developing the above-mentioned activities and programs.
- Be responsible for providing junior and senior analysts/researchers with valid data to support production of reports related to the above-mentioned activities.
- Produce visual explanations and conduct analytics/research studies related to the above-mentioned activities.
- Execute descriptive and statistical analysis
- Create tables and reports
- Work closely with Researchers and Analysts to identify data issues and solutions to the issues.
- Complete project analysis documentation according to department standards
- Undergraduatebachelor’s degree in any discipline with 6 years working experience is required (student jobs do not qualify); OR Master's Degree with 4 years experience, OR Ph.D. with 2 years experience is also acceptable.
- Quantitative/research discipline preferred but not required (e.g., Biostatistics, Biology, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Quantitative Social Sciences, Information Systems)
- Experience with SAS (Base, SQL, Enterprise Miner, Guide) or similar experience with programming and/or statistical analysis required.
- Experience in managed care/health care claims/ pharmaceutical claims data is preferred.
- Competent to convert research protocol to programming specification logically and meaningfully
- Ability to participate in project design and interpretation with Research Staff
- Good writing skills
- Must be detail-oriented
- Must be able to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical co-workers
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced team-oriented environment
- Teamwork and leadership qualities are a plus
- Candidate may be required to serve as a team lead with responsibility for project assignment and staff supervision, development and performance evaluation.
Job Specific Requirements:
Grade 12 BBEX
Incentive Plan T70210 EX/CAP - Grd 12 & Und
Position Specific Qualifications:
For this position, within the “Duties and Responsibilities” listed above, greater emphasis will be given to:
Utilization and Cost Studies
Clinical Program Evaluation
The following qualifications are also desirable, but not required:
Experience in design and evaluation of clinical programs
Clinical education/experience in physical and/or behavioral health
Familiarity with Medicaid, Medicare, or other government healthcare benefit programs
Familiarity with authorization processes, case management, or other aspects of managed care
Training/experience in geographic information systems
Training/experience with data visualization programs
Number of Openings Available:
BCBST BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee, Inc.
BCBST is an Equal Opportunity employer (EEO), and all employees and applicants will be entitled to equal employment opportunities when employment decisions are made. BCBST will take affirmative action to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals in all job classifications without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, pregnancy, veteran status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, gender identity, or membership in a historically under-represented group.
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee via-email, the Internet or any other method without a valid, written Direct Placement Agreement in place for this position from BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee HR/Talent Acquisition will not be considered. No fee will be paid in the event the applicant is hired by BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee as a result of the referral or through other means.
Tobacco-Free Hiring Statement
To further our mission of peace of mind through better health, effective 2017, BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee and its subsidiaries no longer hire individuals who use tobacco or nicotine products in any form in Tennessee and where state law permits. A tobacco-free hiring practice is part of an effort to combat serious diseases, as well as to promote health and wellness for our employees and our community. All offers of employment will be contingent upon passing a tobacco/nicotine test. An individual whose test result is positive for tobacco/nicotine will be disqualified from employment and the job offer will be withdrawn. Individuals who fail the tobacco/nicotine screening will be permitted to reapply for employment after 6 months, if tobacco/nicotine-free.