The Billing Manager exercises discretion and independent judgment while working under the general direction of the National Director of Billing and Financial Systems and according to established Firm policies and procedures. The Billing Manager is responsible for billing management, the entire New York billing process and limited accounting management specific to the New York operations by performing essential duties personally or through delegation/supervision of subordinates. The Billing Manager maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and Firm matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to, the following. Other duties may be requested and/or assigned. Essential functions are primary job duties that an individual must be able to perform successfully with or without a reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Implement current billing processes and procedures, as well as suggest and facilitate new processes and procedures, as needed, to increase efficiency and quality of services. Provide training for current and/or newly implemented software systems and/or policies. Manage and supervise the New York office Billing and Accounting staff. This includes performance reviews, hiring new personnel, training, etc.
· Manage and oversee all New York Billing and Accounting Department functions and organization assuring work is completed accurately and effectively within defined deadlines.
· Implement billing and limited accounting procedures as they relate to Firm policies.
· Work with other Billing Managers in rate research and implementation, in both the financial system and the clients’ e-billing vendor systems, to ensure consistency and accuracy. Must have strong knowledge of rate setup and a strong understanding of the impact of rate hierarchy.
· Oversee and manage the billing process for the New York office including pre-bills, invoices, e-billing, alternative fee arrangements, credit programs, specific cash applications, etc.
· Implement Accounting procedures as they relate to the Accounting database system for efficient data entry and workflow. Maintain the accuracy and integrity of the Accounting database system.
· Work with the conflicts team, pricing team and the other Billing Managers to manage the new client set up process and developing processes and procedures to ensure the necessary information in engagement letters and outside counsel guidelines flow through to the time entry and billing modules. This will require strong teamwork skills.
· Master financial systems (general ledger, time entry, billing/accounting/reporting software) to:
· Continuously review and assess current policies and procedures to identify opportunities to improve effectiveness, efficiencies, customer service, reporting and analytics, staff performance, etc.
· Respond to client, attorney, and professional staff inquiries.
· Investigate and resolve problems, questions, and issues from all personnel as they relate to billing and accounting procedures.
· Ensure a high level of customer service when working directly with attorneys and external clients.
· Lead billing personnel with respect to rollouts of system additions, changes, and enhancements, requiring interactive exchange with the Firm-wide Financial Systems management team.
· Improve accuracy and integrity of entries posted to billing system.
· Analyze and explain variances in monthly billing activity and budgets.
· Provide projections on monthly billing activity down to the partner/client level.
· Advise attorneys with respect to reduction of WIP and On Account balances.
· Collaborate with departments outside the Financial Systems realm, such as Marketing and Business Development, Practice Management, Pricing and Legal Project Management to develop interdepartmental processes for the integration of RFPs and engagement letters.
· Liaise with vendors to implement automated on-line billing or invoicing systems.
· Resolve problems arising with respect to improperly allocated cash
· Complete special projects on an ad hoc basis.
· Directly supervises and manages employees and is responsible for their overall direction, coordination, and evaluation. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Firm’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and counseling employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems; and making recommendations for hiring, promotion, compensation, and termination.
· Must be a strong leader and example for the staff. Knowing when encouragement is called for and when guidance in a respectful manner is needed. Must react with calm and confidence during times of crisis and stress and impart this calmness to the staff.
· Must tactfully and professionally identify areas of improvement with well thought out solutions and knowing your audience when communicating these potential solutions.
· Continuously look for opportunities to train staff either one-on-one or through Firm offered training sessions. Must have the tact to point out a weakness of a staff member without discouraging that staff member.
· Stress accuracy by implementing better processes while not overreacting to errors which lead to losing the trust of the staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or equivalent and twelve (12) or more years related experience, with at least five (5) years of experience at a management level, preferably in a legal or professional services firm; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Strong supervisory experience and knowledge of the accounting and billing processes and reporting requirements used by a large national law firm are preferred.
· Computer proficient with extensive knowledge and understanding of database systems (Aderant-CMS), MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and Outlook preferred. Strong MS Excel skills essential as well as extensive knowledge of e-Billing processes with e-Billing Hub and client e-billing vendor system experience.
· Ability to assess current processes and identify, implement, and manage process improvements recommendations.
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills to interact and communicate with subordinates, provide instruction/direction/training, determine work priorities, and coordinate the activities of a work team.
· Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy, efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff, and outside contacts acting as their liaison to the Finance department and their trusted advisor on all billing procedures.
· Possess a strong customer service mentality for both internal and external clients.
· Analytical skills requiring an aptitude for detail, precision, and logic with comprehensive knowledge of billing and accounting principles and practices in order to perform complex mathematical calculations and apply mathematical concepts when computing, reconciling balances, verifying numerical data, preparing various billing reports, providing back-up assistance and support in performing all aspects of accounting operations, and participating in preparation of the budget.
· Exhibit high degree of initiative in exercising independent judgment and making decisions in order to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment in addition to possessing a strong desire and capability to share your knowledge and experience with your team aiding in their professional growth. ·
· Ability to work overtime as needed to meet deadlines.
· Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute files, written documentation, or office supplies weighing up to 10 pounds.
Valid through: 11/18/2020