Costco IT is responsible for the technical future of Costco Wholesale, the second largest retailer in the world with wholesale operations in twelve countries. Despite our size and explosive international expansion, we continue to provide a family, employee centric atmosphere in which our employees thrive and succeed. As proof, Costco consistently ranks in the top five of Forbes “America’s Best Employers”.
Business Intelligence (BI) Engineers are responsible for the successful delivery, design and support of high visibility desktop reports, mobile reports and dashboards. BI Engineers leverage BI applications in accordance with application development standards and best practices. BI Engineers work closely with Product Owners and Systems Analysts during wireframe development. This role may also engage with BI Solution Architects and Data Architect to assist in solution design efforts including analysis, design and architecture. BI Engineers are responsible for incident management and providing proper feedback to end-users regarding reporting system status and/or errors.
We are looking for a highly motivated, business focused BI engineer who wants to work in a fun and highly collaborative environment.
If you want to be a part of one of the BEST “to work for” companies in the world, simply apply and let your career be reimagined.
- Translates business needs into technical specifications to deliver customized reporting systems.
- Accountable for end-to-end development and support of Costco’s BI reporting environments for ongoing metrics, reports, dashboards, etc.
- Assists in the design and development of proof of concept and prototype application environments.
- Creates data visualizations that illustrate data learnings and insights in an understandable and user-friendly manner through UI/UX design.
- Adopts and adapts to newly approved technologies, programming languages, tools, and standards for business intelligence.
- Collaborates to ensure application designs utilize appropriate patterns and standards.
- Creates and refines dashboard user manuals for each reporting application/visualization.
- Documents BI application specifications and produces operational support manuals.
- Analyzes business needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints, including the ability to estimate work needed.
- Identifies and interprets trends, patterns, and correlations among various data points.
- Assesses functional and nonfunctional requirements and creates designs to meet both business and technical needs.
- Designs, builds, and maintains automated reporting, dashboards, and analysis to enable teams to self-service data needs.
- Supports defining technical requirements such as tool or platform selection criteria for the reporting environments.
- Assists in solution design efforts (i.e. analysis, data warehouse design, architecture) and understands the data warehouse or data marts implementation related to BI.
- Identifies, designs, and implements internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing BI capabilities.
- Identifies ways to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality of data management required for building BI applications and reports.
- Communicates technical concepts to non-technical audiences both in written and verbal form.
- Performs peer reviews for other BI engineer’s work.
- 2+ years’ experience working with BI technologies and tools like IBM Cognos, Microsoft Power BI, Tableau; proven and successful implementations of IBM Cognos, Microsoft Power BI.
- 3+ years’ using programing languages such as Java, C#, DAX, MDX, SQL, Python.
- 2+ years’ BI related experience using ETL, Data warehousing management, Data Mining, Report Designer or development; ability to write complex SQL queries against a variety of data sources.
- Experience with Power BI ALM Toolkit.
- 3+ years’ heterogeneous database management systems like MS SQL, Oracle, MySQL, SAP etc.and working knowledge with various data sources like flat files (csv, delimited), Web API, XML.
- Proven ability to build consensus between teams with differing architecture and design viewpoints and perspectives.
- Good understanding of data and query optimization, query profiling, and query performance monitoring tools and techniques.
- Experience implementing solutions on multiple hardware platforms and operating systems.
- Conceptual knowledge of Azure cloud architecture, low code power apps, visualization technologies.
- Must be self-motivated, responsible, conscientious, and detail oriented. Proven ability to follow priorities and timelines.
- Must have strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Able to work in a fast-paced agile development environment.
- Microsoft Power BI, Power Apps, IBM Cognos, Tableau certifications.
- Azure Certifications.
- Experience with Git / Azure DevOps.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent software/services experience.
- Experience delivering reporting design, visualizations, and solutions through agile software development methodologies.
- Experience working with sensitive data including Finance and/or HR/Payroll.
- Exposure to the retail industry.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.