The Business Intelligence (Bl) Developer is a member of a cross-functional team where teamwork, collaboration, challenges and continuous learning are the norm.
Bl Developers create analytics content including reports, extracts, data visualizations and data views based on specifications created by Business Analysts. Bl Developers utilize the University of Rochester Medical Center's Data Repositories, Warehouses and supporting applications.
This position will interact with multiple disciplines of the Medical Center, including, but not limited to Financial and Operational stakeholders to ensure reporting needs are met. Primary responsibilities include development and maintenance of enterprise analytic reporting solutions, adherence to change management and control, development of approved ad hoc service requests, process documentation for build and testing, and additional projects and requests to perform analysis and programming addressing challenging tasks assigned as needed.
Position works under the direction of ISD Data and Analytics Management and in collaboration with Business Analysts, Project Managers, application team members, and operational partners.
Conforms to established guidelines, standards, and conventions for request tracking and status, report writing, dashboard design and documentation. Position requires successfully achieving and maintaining Epic certifications in Clarity Clinical and Access Data Models, and domain-specific Epic Application(s).
- Coordinate across teams and with Supervisor to confirm priorities for work to be done. Lead integrated meetings that will operational stakeholders, ISD Data & Analytics, and appropriate build team(s). Publish an agenda before and meeting minutes after meeting.
- Work with business analysts and/or stakeholders on requirements for new reports and report enhancements.
- Research existing reports (including Epic model reports, as well as previously-developed custom reports) to determine whether a report already exists that will satisfy requirements.
- Enhance existing reports, or develop new reports, that will satisfy requirements. Thoroughly test reports, and obtain user validation.
- Promote and implement reports in accordance with ISO policy.
- Provide production support and maintenance as needed.
- Obtain required Epic certifications. Stay current with Epic upgrades.
- Maintain current knowledge base and expertise in SQL Server and additional reporting and business intelligence analytics tools.
Bachelor's degree is related discipline such as Computer Science, Business, Mathematics, Statistics, Science or Engineering; and 3-4 years of related experience, preferably 1-2 years in a supervisory capacity; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Master's degree preferred.
- • Master's degree
- 5 years relevant work experience
- 3 years SQL programming experience
- 3 years of report development experience (Crystal Reports preferred)
- Familiarity with Microsoft SQL Management Studio
- Highly organized with proven ability to meet deadlines, prioritize workload, and manage own time effectively
- Proven ability to work professionally and progressively in a matrix organization
- Proven business process design and development skills
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills
- Proven customer service orientation and excellent communication skills
- Proven ability to work under pressure in a fast paced environment
- Prior experience working with healthcare information systems
- Experience with Epic Clarity and Caboodle data models
- Ability and initiative to learn new technologies
- Ability to analyze workflow and process build and changes and utilize technology to perform complex data analysis
- Expertise with statistical analytics tools and Business Intelligence tools such as R, SAS, Python, Spotfire, Tableau
- Proficiency with SQL and relational database concepts
- Proficiency and demonstrated experience with report writing tools
- Ability to gain familiarity with Epic applications and database structure through formal training and/or self-study