The human resource benefits manager is responsible for the administration of employee benefits in all company operations. As needed, this position provides special guidance and assistance to all locations on various employee benefit plans.
- Administers employee benefit programs such as medical, dental, vision plans; life insurance plans, temporary disability programs, wellness programs and leave of absences.
- Manages the company benefit programs to include medical, dental, vision, life insurance plans, temporary disability programs, and wellness program.
- Reviews and approves monthly invoices to assure accuracy of enrollment / coverage changes and authorizes payment for company benefit plans.
- Evaluate and compare existing company benefits with those of other employers by analyzing other plans, surveys and other sources of information. Plan develop and/or participate in area and industry surveys. Analyze results of surveys and develop recommendations for review by management.
- Develop proposal for management of new benefit plans and/or to modify existing plans to maintain company's competitive position in labor market.
- Develops census data for benefit broker to solicit insurance companies for quotations, and then evaluates these quotations to make recommendations to management.
- Develops company cost information for new and existing benefit plans and makes cost share recommendations to management.
- Implement approved new plans or changes to existing plans by preparing announcement materials, plan summary documents and other media for communicating plans to employees. Conducts annual employee enrollment meetings and briefings.
- Advise and counsel management and employees on existing benefits.
- Prepare and execute, with management consultation, benefits documentation, such as original and amended plan texts, benefit agreements and insurance policies. Instructs insurance carriers, trustee and other administrative agencies outside the company to effect changes in benefit program. Ensures prompt and accurate compliance.
- Assure company compliance with provisions of Employee Retirement Income Security Act and Affordable Care Act. Prepares reports and applications required by law to be filed with federal and state agencies, such as Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor, insurance commission, and other regulatory agencies. Reviews and analyze changes to state and federal laws pertaining to benefits and reports necessary or suggested changes to management. Coordinate company benefits with government-sponsored programs.
- Develop benefits information and statistical and census data for actuaries, insurance carriers and management.
- Handle benefit inquires and complaints to ensure quick, equitable, courteous resolution.
- Maintain enrollment and claims records for all benefit plans.
- Communicates complex issues and address sensitive employee issues.
- Maintains sensitive information, material, and documents.
Assists the Department with other areas of compliance as a Senior HR Generalist.
- Bachelor's Degree and a minimum of four (4) years of experience in benefits administration; or a master's degree and a minimum of two (2) years applicable experience incorporating benefits administration.
- SHRM, HRCI certification is highly preferred or Certified Employee Benefit Specialist Certified (CEBS) desired. If not certified at time of hire, must be certified within 12 months of date of hire.
- Demonstrated experience negotiating benefits highly preferred.
- Experience managing or working with benefit vendors and brokers.
- Proven capability to handle multiple concurrent tasks.
- Manages assigned projects with appropriate initiative and guidance.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and written to all levels of the organization.
- Exceptionally strong research abilities, attention to detail, analytical skills and initiative are required in this position.
- Must possess the ability to deal with fast-paced change and absolute discretion are required in this position.
- Able to travel overnight, as required.
- Must successfully pass a background and credit check to access sensitive information and automated systems.
- Must be a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization, or a green card lawful U.S. permanent resident, or a political asylum in the U.S. Individual must meet the definition of a U.S. person upon hire due to the risk assessment of this position.