Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. With state of the art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things. Serving customers in over 100 countries, our research scientists and engineers continue to invent and accelerate new technologies that will increase and transform the way people and things communicate and connect.
Bell Labs conducts research in a wide variety of topics, ranging from fiber-optics and wireless, to cloud-based and highly distributed computing, to fundamental physics, mathematics and computing. It is the birthplace of the transistor, information theory, cellular networking, Unix and C, and many other fundamental technological discoveries and inventions. Bell Labs researchers have won 8 Nobel Prizes, 3 Turing Awards, and several National Medals of Science and of Technology and Innovation.
Bell Labs’s Innovation Incubation function is looking for Software Developers for its North America software team in Sunnyvale, CA. Innovation Incubation works on the best Bell Labs research results and transforms them into proto product towards commercialization.
Job Position Summary Description:
The candidate will work with a team of talented software developers to incubate a few high impact software projects per year. The ideal candidate
- Loves to code and can solve complex problems
- Has strong ability to work within teams with excellent interpersonal skills and written/verbal communications
- Has strong creative ability to take research results and visions to create applications
- Able to contribute to creation and follow through on project timelines with documentation and design specifications
Key Responsibilities / Functions:
- Collaborate across the company and interact with our customers to define, design and ship new features.
- Work with team members to create and develop innovation ideas into projects
- Write maintainable code with extensive test coverage following TDD/BDD principles, working in a professional software engineering environment (with source control, dev/stage/prod release cycle, continuous deployment)
- Improve the skills of everyone around you through discussion, debate, coaching, and review. Promote work in an agile mode.
Required Qualifications: (Education, Technical Skills/Knowledge)
NOTE: the requirements for backend and mobile app developers are significantly different, and we only require candidates meet one of the requirements.
Strong software development capability:
- For mobile application: 4+ years of iOSmobile application development using Xcode, iOSK SDK, Swift or Objective C; or equivalent experience in Android
- For both: 3+ yearexperience with REST interfaces, XML, JSON, OAuth
Real world software development methodology:
- agile development (scrum or kanban).
- test driven development and unit testing with tools
- continuous integration process (automated testing, software packaging, etc).
- continuous deployment
Backend specific working experience in:
- building large scale applications for Cloud.
- hands-on in building containerized applications.
- using and managing VM (especially AWS)
- working/managing/troubleshooting in Linux environment (e.g. CentOS/Ubuntu)
Mobile app specific working experience in:
- Experience with developing multi-threaded applications
- Experience with iOS frameworks for accessing other system datasets like media or contracts
- Needs to have good understanding of UI guidelines and able to expertly implement UX/UI design for iOS and translate for Android
Desired Qualifications: (Education, Technical Skills/Knowledge)
- Master Degree in Computer Science considered a plus
- Experience with NoSQL database (especially MongoDB)
- 2 years Experience with Core Data or REALM considered a plus
- Published App on Apple or Google Play store is a plus
- Good track record on Github and stackoverflow considered a plus