Manages nursingand non-nursing personneland daily operational related activities. Leads Behavioral Health team with responsibility for all operational functions of the team. Works in partnership with the MedicalDirector/Physician Liaison of the Behavioral Health population to provide administrative and medical staff support to the operations of the service line.
The Behavioral Health Unit is a 31-bed acute adult unit caring for patients with mental illness. There is excellent teamwork; supportive ancillary services, such as Therapists, Social Workers and Care Management.
Responsible for developing and initiating improvements in the organization and delivery of high quality, cost effective patient care.Duties and responsibilities will include supporting the vision, mission,and goals of the Nursing Department and the organization. Responsible for nursing clinical practice, budgetary personnel activities, and regulatory activities associated with the Behavioral Health population, and continuing support of the Electronic MedicalRecord (EMR). Commitment to community serviceis encouraged and is a quality of leadership.
Responsible for ensuring the very best patient/family experience by optimizing all customer interaction. Foster a positive work environment throughmutual support and cooperation and adheres to Geisinger serviceline specific Service Standards.
Reports directlyto the AVP Nursing Services and is matrixed to the Department Service Line leaders(Vice President and Chair) as appropriate.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Demonstrates characteristics and behaviors necessary to assure employeeunderstanding and acceptance of the nursing and system drivingstrategies, i.e. visionary, reliable., role model, self-motivated, honest.
2.Effectively communicates and incorporates the Nursing and the organization's vision, goals, and initiatives at the unit/department level consistently with Magnet philosophy and environment.
3. Participates effectively as a member of departmental/divisional/regional leadership teams.
4. Employs transformational leadership concepts in the development, implementation, and evaluation of shared governance councils and maintenance of magnet culture.
5. Facilitates team based problemsolving within and between departments.
6. Facilitates/incorporates/promotes evidencebased practice into care.
B.* Staff Mentoring/Coaching and Development:
1. Facilitates continuing educationand research opportunities for employees, self and communityto support growth and enhance the contribution to Geisinger HealthSystem.
2. Utilizes team building conceptsto effectively empowerteam member by serving as a mentor,teacher and coach.
3. Ensures the patientsafety improvement and management programwill be givenhigh priority and will supportthe program.
4. Collaborates with ClinicalNurse Educators to develop employeeorientation, continuing education and competencies.
5. Maintains membership in a professional nursingorganization.
6. Enhances skills of team memberssuch as decision-making, problem solving,conflict resolution, human resource management and communication.
7. Supports and promotes activities that are consistent with promoting a Magnet Cultureand innovation.
C.* Maintains a Robust Workplace Environment:
1. Facilitates development, maintenance and success of unit teams.
2. Provides feedback to team regarding performance and job relatedissues.
3. Ensures adequate staffing and competent care delivery.
4. Develops, implements, and revisesnursing retention strategies on an on-goingbasis.
5. Develops positive and proactive employee relations.
D.* Accountable for Domains of Magnet Recognition
1. Demonstrates transformational leadership in maintaining a Magnet Culture.
2. Incorporates structural empowerment through shared governance, fostering professional development and involvement in the workplace and community.
3. Integrates the Professional Practicemodel with the mission, vision,philosophy and valuesof the organization.
4. Encourage new knowledge, innovations and improvements usingevidence based practiceand research.
5. Focuses on empirical outcomesrelated to clinicalpractice.
E.* Service Excellence/Financial/Quality/Efficiency Processes:
1. Demonstrates accountability for continuously improvingthe work unit, department, divisionand system by developing performance expectations and goals that focus on service, qualityand cost.
2. Communicates a clear description of performance expectations and goals to employees, encouraging and supporting their participation and accountability.
3. Establishes and adjusts hour per patientday (HPPD) for assigned units based on national benchmarks.
4. Develops, implements, and achievesbudgets which attainunit, division, and system goals.
5. Reviews reports to monitorrevenue and expenseimpacting activities.
6. Develops and implements operational contingency plans proactively and when indicators change.
7. Educates employees in the need to develop a cost conscious approach to qualitycare and/or servicedelivery.
8. Develops and promotesservice standards that foster a customer sensitive environment, using a proactive approach.
9. Measures performance against standards and seeks team commitment to exceed standards.
10. Facilitates staffs management of patients and customer relatedissues in a timely manner.
F.* Risk Management:
1. Assists in dealing with risk management issues to mitigaterisk and exposure.
2. Assists in development and implementation of department PI plan.
3. Ensures all incidents, seriousevents, and sentinelevents are reportedto PI and addressed in a timely manner.
4. Proactively reviews theunits/systems risk exposure to develop educational activities for employees/associates that will reduce liability.
5. Coordinates and communicates safetystandards and processes and holds staffaccountable.
6. Assists and maintains regulatory compliance incorporating the Tracer Methodology.
G.* Collaboration with Departments, Services and Administration:
1. Works closely with otherdepartments/services/administrationto maximize qualitypatient outcomes.
2. Collaborates with Administration/Medical Directoron a regular basis.
3. Facilitates issue resolution and enhancement of work environment through collaboration with other departments and within the GHS system.
4. Facilitates the collaboration between members of the interdisciplinary teams via IDTs and Continuumof Care Rounds.
5. Collaborates with Human Resourcesto maintain a healthy work environment.
H.Performs dutiesas required or assigned by emergency or other operational reasons for whichthe employee is qualified to perform.
*Denotes essential job functions.
SPECIFIC POSITION DUTIES: COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
Demonstrates basic knowledge of budget concepts.
Demonstrates good organizational skills.
Demonstrates good human relationskills, active listening, and conflict resolution skills. Demonstrates excellent oral and writteninterpersonal communication skills.
Demonstrates leadership, facilitation, coaching, and collaboration skills. Demonstrates the ability to guide a team to successful outcomes.
Demonstrates effective decision-making and problem-solving skills.
Demonstrates the technological skills/abilities to perform the functions of the positionas it relates to chartauditing, employee documentation accountability and other performance improvement functions andunit based needs.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
RN presently licensed or eligible for licensure in Pennsylvania required.
BSN degreerequired. Master's degreein Psychiatric nursing, HealthCare Administration or related fieldpreferred.
Professional certification recommended.
Minimum 3 or more years of progressive management experience in a health care setting required. Management experience in an academicmedical center or integrated health care deliverysystem preferred.
Job Id 43332