The Business Development and Marketing Specialist provides additional professional support for business success of the Global Arbitration, Trade and Advocacy (GATA) Practice Area Team (PAT) and reports to the Senior Business Development and Marketing Manager. S/He will work directly with the practice leaders and partners in the group (across various offices worldwide) to monitor international business and trade trends, identify market opportunities, including specific target clients and matters, develop and execute clear strategies and business plans, maintain current competitive intelligence, and manage an aligned range of marketing campaigns/programs, events, communications and key account activity.
Projects may include: collection and maintenance of intelligence on international business and trade trends, and related client and matter opportunities; identification of trends in international arbitration and trade practices in terms of business development strategies, service offerings, pricing and profile building; assisting in the maintenance of business development and marketing collateral for the group (including experience databases); monitoring progress against planned priorities; preparing directory submissions, award nominations and other activities to raise the profile of the practices; securing panel and other appointments through the submission of written proposals/pitches; and developing strategies for participation in or planning of major events/sponsorships. S/He leads the development of projects to enhance the groups’ and the Firm’s internal knowledge about its existing clients, target clients and overall business.
Duties and Responsibilities
Practice and Client Development
- Conducts or obtains targeted client and market research to aid in practice development initiatives, including through ongoing monitoring of developments in international business and trade in key economic sectors.
- Maintains reliable intelligence on competitor firms and practitioners and identifies legal trends relevant to the practice.
- Together with the Senior Business Development and Marketing Manager, analyzes and presents market, client and competitive intelligence to practice leaders to inform and guide practice strategy.
- Facilitates the planning, implementation and follow-up of new business or cross-marketing opportunities.
- In conjunction with the Senior Business Development and Marketing Manager and others, consults with PAT leadership and key partners on development and coordination of marketing and client development plans for the group and individual lawyers within the PAT.
- Attends and contributes to PAT meetings and planning sessions.
Marketing and Profile-raising Activities
- Leads practice areas’ submission of rankings, surveys, league tables and other ratings information.
- Works with marketing teams to plan Sidley-sponsored and other co-hosted programs and events.
- Recommends and facilitates the involvement of Firm lawyers in professional organizations that will enhance the visibility of the lawyers and the Firm in global and industry platforms.
Proposals and Pitches
- May serve as lead project manager for RFPs and pitches, both for the primary practices and other groups, as necessary.
- Spearheads briefing discussions to propose and/or understand the opportunity.
- Writes new business proposals, conducts matters research and produces targeted, tailored responses to RFIs/RFPs.
- Supports follow-up, debrief activities post-pitch, and report them back to Firm.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the Duties and Responsibilities (Duties) above satisfactorily and meet the requirements below. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. If you need such an accommodation, please email email@example.com (current employees should contact Human Resources).
Education and/or Experience:
- At least five (5) years of experience in the legal arena and/or strategic planning, sales, market assessment or positioning in other professional services industries
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited four year college or university
- Excellent analytical and research skills
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Understanding of legal services and market knowledge related to international trade and arbitration
- M.B.A. or J.D. a considerable plus
- Experience within a law firm environment
- Spanish language proficiency (reading and writing)
Other Skills and Abilities:
The following will also be required of the successful candidate:
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Good judgment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Able to work harmoniously and effectively with others
- Able to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Able to work under pressure
- Able to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities