Bank Lending Officer
Austin Capital Bank - Austin, TX
Austin Capital Bank is seeking an exemplary individual to play a key role in the bank’s lending group. In this role, you will be responsible for many facets of the bank’s commercial lending and loanportfolio management.
The success of this position will be measured primarily by the performance and asset quality of the bank’s commercial loanportfolio, professional development of lending personnel, and outstanding management of the bank’s borrower relationships.
Desired Knowledge and Experience
This position requires exceptional underwriting knowledge and ability, lending officers that are reliant on credit analysts to underwrite their loans need not apply.
Deep knowledge and experience with SBA 7(a) and SBA Express lending are strongly preferred.
Extensive experience in customer relationship management, loan origination, credit policy, underwriting, financial analysis and knowledge of credit related regulatory issues. Demonstrated the ability to grow and lead a high producing and efficient lending team. The Bank’s ideal candidate is knowledgeable and experienced in a wide variety of commercial lending lines of business, including; commercial real estate, C&I, SBA, construction, and income-producing residential real estate lending.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for many facets of safe and sound loan origination for the bank, including either directly or indirectly; preparation of credit memos and analysis, presentation of loan requests to the Board of Directors or Loan Committee, and proper documentation of all loans.
- Review and analyze all credits prior to approval. Determine if credits meet sound underwriting standards and do not pose greater-than-normal risk.
- Screen credit requests from potential applicants, explain lending parameters and loan programs, negotiate loan structure, review loan applications, and work with applicants to secure necessary information and documentation to underwrite loan requests.
- Work with borrower, lending staff, legal counsel and title company to confirm that all loan conditions are met prior to loan closing and funding.
- Manage loan pipeline and allocation of loans in process among loan officers and credit analysts.
- Provide coaching and leadership development to direct reports. Responsible for training of lending personnel; reviewing and evaluating employee performance; and recommending salary adjustments, promotions, discharges and other personnel-related actions.
- Continuously improve lending operations to improve customer experience, operational efficiency, and achieve cost and time savings.
- Work with bank CEO to monitor competition, detect unfilled borrower needs, and identify new product and lending opportunities.
- Develop industry knowledge of best practices. Research, evaluate and recommend new lending technologies and systems or other services.
- Provide professional communication with outside vendors, as well as external and internal customers. Work with attorneys representing the financial institution on all loan matters.
- Regularly review cash flow projections with the Chief Executive Officer to determine liquidity needs for loan funding.
- Potentially attend monthly Board of Directors meeting, present and lead discussion of credit reports.
- Assist in development of loan policy and underwriting guidelines, subject to final approval, and communicate policy to all personnel involved in loan origination and portfolio monitoring and management.
- Coordinate the development or revisions of policies, procedures and agreements to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements. Ensure that deviations from policy are corrected and reported.
- Resolves credit policy issues identified internally or by the bank’s auditors.
LoanPortfolio Management and Oversight
- Monitor and manage the bank’s loanportfolio to maintain exceptional asset quality and minimize potential loan losses.
- Oversee preparation of some monthly credit reports and regular loan monitoring reports.
- Keep the Chief Executive Officer informed of any material considerations affecting the loanportfolio, loan policy, or unusual individual loan transactions that are material in nature or amount.
- Coordinate with internal/external auditors and bank examiners for loan reviews and regulatory examinations of the loanportfolio and credit administration.
- Monitor and track through comprehensive reporting the performance of the portfolio and provide comprehensive analysis and recommendations.
- Monitor and track underwriting activity to ensure underwriting guidelines are being adhered by lending staff.
- Evaluate effectiveness of underwriting in achieving bank’s goals.
Preferred Knowledge and Experience
- 8 or more years of experience in commercial lending, credit underwriting and analysis, personnel management, and loanportfolio monitoring and management in a high performance banking environment
- Comprehensive knowledge of commercial and real estate lending policies and procedures, including state and federal regulations.
- Exceptionally strong financial analytical and underwriting skills. Must possess a fundamental knowledge of financial accounting, cost accounting and tax accounting;
- Experience analyzing and ability to understand and explain personal/business financial statements and tax returns
- Ability to recruit, manage, develop, and evaluate direct reports.
- Knowledge of loan participation and purchase agreements.
- Experience with CRE, residential investment, SBA, and C& I Loans
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, or Banking and/or equivalent work related experience
- Expert in Microsoft Excel, proficient in Microsoft Word, & Outlook
- Experience with Sageworks lending software desirable, but not required
About the Opportunity
For this opportunity you will report directly to the President of the Bank.
While experience in loan origination, credit analysis, portfolio monitoring, processing, and underwriting are desirable, candidate character qualities are equally valued. The ideal candidate will:
- Be exceptionally intelligent and honest
- Be a creative and critical thinker
- Be self-driven with a strong work ethic
- Have extraordinary attention to detail
- Take initiative
- Follow through to completion
- Take direction well
- Have strong spreadsheet and writing skills
- Work well in a small team environment
- Have steadfast ethics and moral compass
- Exemplary oral and written communication
About the Bank
Austin Capital Bank is a $120 million asset FDIC insured financial institution located in Austin, Texas. The bank has a core community bank line of business primarily providing financing for real estate investors in the Austin – San Antonio corridor. The bank also serves as a banking platform for fintech start-ups and financial service new product innovation. Austin Capital Bank is a high performance and high growth financial institution. Since 2012 Austin Capital Bank has achieved a year-over-year CAGR of 25%+ for assets and 150%+ for pre-tax net income. Austin Capital Bank was ranked #4001 on the 2016 and #3260 on the 2017 Inc 5000 lists. Austin Capital Bank was also ranked in the top 10% of all banks under $1 billion in assets by S&P Global Intelligence in 2016.
Job Type: Full-time
- Commercial Lending: 8years
- Community Bank: 4years
- SBA 7(a) and SBA Express Lending: 3years