The position is based in St. Louis, Missouri, and the candidate will provide legal advice and service primarily to Stifel Bank & Trust, a Missouri banking corporation (the “Bank”). In cooperation with management of the Bank and its parent company, the candidate will have responsibility for advising business partners on various issues such as loan related matters and related regulatory requirements.
Advises on and documents commercial and consumer loan transactions, credit policy matters, and loan workouts, as needed. Loans may include private bankingloans, Regulation U loans, and loans collateralized by Rule 144 securities.
- Advises the Bank’s and Stifel Financial Corp.’s management and the firm’s associates concerning compliance and regulatory matters, claim liability, and contractual issues.
- Interprets laws, rulings and regulations involving the Bank’s businesses, including consumer lending.
- Analyzes risks associated with a wide variety of issues including utilizing legal research resources.
- Gathers evidence to formulate defenses to potential claims.
- Represents the Bank and its associates in court, arbitration, or before government and regulatory agencies as required.
- Conducts legal research to assist in the firm’s business growth.
- Prepares and negotiates the Bank-related documents.
- Assists in general corporate legal drafting, including minutes.
- Negotiates and drafts regulatory documents, including for the Bank policies.
- Performs other legal responsibilities as requested.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree and J.D. required.
- Minimum 4-6 years related legal experiencerequired; regulatory and/or financial institution experiencepreferred.
- Must be licensed to practice law in Missouri.
- Advanced knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Knowledge of the financial service industry including Federal and State chartered banks, trust companies and securities broker/dealers.
- Knowledge of the products and services available in the investment industry as well as the methods, processes and staff of the Bank and its affiliates.
Job Location St. Louis, Missouri, United States